Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quote of the Week

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    CK5 guys just don't have the experience with good springs and good shocks

[/ QUOTE ]

Taken from a discussion on another board (NOT POR) that I'm following.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Which board would that be??

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That's pretty dang funny. I don't think it's ORC, I follow that one and haven't seen that pop up. </font color>

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I'm not saying which board it is due to the probability of bad feelings being developed, but there are a couple of other people on here that are over there also. This is he's latest offering in rebuttal, I'll just have to pull up some pics of Frizzlefry's rig since I've seen it in action and gotten a ride, so I know what it's like.

You can disagree with me Stan that is fine, but I just haven't seen a lot of different springs and shock setups. I would like you to point me to some good pictures of springs that work good and shocks? I have showed you my webpage and the shackle and springs I used but not a lot of people get to excited about it when I showed the CK5 guys. BTW those springs are 51.5" long. You can check all my posted on the CK5 site and there is a lot of info on springs. Go take a look. BTW I had some top leafs made for my buddies blazer and they was 52.5" long and they work pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Show him Borrego's pic's too, and Marv's as well.

Rene

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Rene beat me to it (I was going to say show them the "SPRINGER SUSPENSION" in action). Damnit Rene /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think Steve Frisbie's rig works well with the 3 link suspension. Perhaps this person should check out his writeup on the tech section. He is also in the middle of doing the rear suspension 3 link setup.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I linked him some pics of Frizzlefry's rig since I've seen it in action and ridden in it and know how to get to the links fast. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. tRustyK5

Here ya go Bubba Ray...

Flexy pic's

There is some cool video there too...

I think Marv has a webshots album...the guy needs a real website though (hint hint Marv... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif )

Rene

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Well, I got an apology from him. Thanks for the links, maybe I'll check them out.

11. tRustyK5

Kewl...

Rene

12. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What's up with the f**d emblem??!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    [​IMG]

14. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I know who said it and that was me. There is a lot of guys on this board but they just done have the experience that the desert racers have with leaf springs. I said nothing bad about the CK5 guys. The tread is at www.race-dezert.com. It is under doetsch tech shocks in the shop area. I have all ready got my ass reamed over that so I will not talk any more sh*t. Why don't you guys prove me wrong and show me how your rigs flex.

15. FRIZZLEFRY

351/C6

Ford power=/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. FRIZZLEFRY

Ok,57" F150 springs,Springer shackle flip brackets, and Rancho 5112s.28" full stuff to full droop in the rear.In the front,6"Pro Comp springs (cut the tops off the clamps)Pro comp eliminator shochs and sway bar disconnects. Ramps almost 1000 foreward and over 1000 backwards. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif The only improvements to be made are in the front.I need longer front shocks and extended upper mounts.

[​IMG]

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

cool!
    Cleveland or Windsor Ford?
    I thought it was just for the Ford springs...

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I know who said it and that was me. There is a lot of guys on this board but they just done have the experience that the desert racers have with leaf springs. I said nothing bad about the CK5 guys. The tread is at www.race-dezert.com. It is under doetsch tech shocks in the shop area. I have all ready got my ass reamed over that so I will not talk any more sh*t. Why don't you guys prove me wrong and show me how your rigs flex.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've already shown that you are a stand up guy and apoligized to me, I'm cool.

But asking desert runners on how to setup for the rocks can get you in trouble, and vice versa. When I have a suspension question, I go to the desert guys because that's what I'm setting up for. I've taken tech from here and asked desert guys how feasible the stuff is for me and they shoot me down cause what works for most of the guys here won't work for my quest. It's not a matter of who knows how much, it's a matter of knowing what works for what.

Suspension is an art with different designs and theories. You'll get one group that'll tell you that you need the biggest monotube shock with resevoirs and you'll get another group that'll tell you that the longest Rancho that you can get will work. Hopefully you get what I'm trying to say. Take this quote I received from a racer
    So meny people are hung up on wheel travel... More is better?? This is not always the case

[/ QUOTE ]
    Around here, more is better because of the terrain encountered.

And as for the leaf spring comment, you just have to look around a little bit, look at some of the stuff these boys are doing to get flex, it's friggin ingenius. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I have been gathering info on leaf springs and I would like to share it with you guys and tell me what you think. I want to talk front suspensions because I know that the rear can flex well with the Ford springs and the Springer Suspensions. First I believe that the spring doesn't have to be super soft to flex good. I believe it is the thickness of the leafs that determines how well it flexes. Here is something's I have been figuring. I am looking at how well a spring torsionally twists. First I take the spring to center pin measurement.(this would be the one that is bolted to the frame and not the shackle end) and divide it by the thickness of the top leaf. Here is some examples.

Tuff Country Spring 295#/" centerpin to front is 23" and the thickness is .352" so we get a number of 65.3. I believe this spring rides well but doesn't flex that good.
    Rancho spring 520#/" 23"/.360"=63.9
    Tuff Country Spring 395#/" 23"/.352"=65.3

Now I know that these 3 springs don't flex that good. The tuff country might ride better but I don't believe that they flex that well.

Next I have some springs that I know flex well and here they are.

Ford rear spring with the centerpin moved back 1.5" 27/.323=83.6
    Rancho Wagoneer 4" lift 22.5/.281=80.1
    Chevy 63" rear leafs 31.5/.364=86.5
    Tuff Country 395#/" with .262" top leafs 24/.262=91.6

Do you guys see a pattern here well I do and I think that a number in the 80 or higher will flex better than a number under 80. I know a lot of you my say that the shackle angle will affect it and the spring rate will affect if but the only thing that will affect the torsional twist of the spring is the thickness. So tell me what you guys think of my theory.

20. FRIZZLEFRY

69 Windsor /forums/images/icons/grin.gif