Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Qusetion before road trip: *DELETED*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by conoverbandit, Jan 2, 2004.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by conoverbandit

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Qusetion before road trip:

just a 350 on a trailer? pull the 350 off the trailer and drag it, i say use overdrive.. you should be FINE..

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah you should be fine, I've been running around with a 350 sitting in the back of my G-20 for the past month.

I really need to get that thing out of there /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You'll have to go by feel, brother. If the tranny keeps switching between D and OD, drop down to D. You may also want to drive in D if you encounter a strong headwind or hilly terrain.

If you can comfortably cruise in OD and the tranny doesn't gearhunt then you should be OK. Do you have a tranny temp gauge? That's the best way to determine how happy your tranny is staying......

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What gears do you have? I bet with a 4.3 V6 you will have a hard time staying in OD pulling a trailer. If you start to slow down when you shift into OD, you can't do it but if you can keep your foot out of it in OD and it feels to be pulling easy than it should be fine. I pull a 2,000lb tandem axle trailer and on the freeway I can cruise in OD but I have a very torquey 406, it all depends on if your V6 has the guts.

6. conoverbandit

Guts? lol we took this van 312 miles oneway, (same place as we are going tomm.) picked up a k-5 put on 12 ft.trailer that weighs 1280lbs empty so we had a fullsize k-5, 1280lbs trailer all pulling with a SHORT WHEEL BASE! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif no did'nt use o/d but kept up ok with traffic........... as well as you could with it .

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    no did'nt use o/d but kept up ok with traffic........... as well as you could with it .

[/ QUOTE ]
    baaahhhhaaaahhhaaa stock 4.3 V6 vs. built 406 V8 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Until you can pull a semi truck (40,000lbs) 5 miles...and keep up with traffic like I did with my K5 with a built 406... I won't be impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. conoverbandit

Well,
    it might take 4 miles of down hill run to get up to speed, but it might do it lol. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Well,
    it might take 4 miles of down hill run to get up to speed, but it might do it lol. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It was probably pretty hard on my tranny and tires though... When I would take off from a dead start the rear would come up a few inches and wanted to hop a little with the tires barking a little while I was hammered down with the 406. I had to do it though because the pinion nut backed itself off and the yoke slid forward and off of the splines on the truck and I couldn't get it back on without my BFH. He was stuck there in the middle of the intersection so I hooked on with the K5 and dragged his ass all the way to the shop. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

in my new truck....4.3L V6, did the same kind of thing and kept it in D, your van is heavier, and probably less power, I'd keep it in D.

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Until you can pull a semi truck (40,000lbs) 5 miles...and keep up with traffic like I did with my K5 with a built 406... I won't be impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bulls**t... I don't doubt you pulled a semi, but something is wrong with that statement. Its either the 5 miles, the 40,000lb semi, keeping up with the flow of traffic, or all the above something is Bulls**t. Go lie to your friends. thats what they're there for.

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well I've pulled a semi with my Burb before and it only has a 350!/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Course it was across a parking lot and the traffic was on foot. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

This is turning into one of those urban legends forums now! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Yeah... I have too, thats why I'm calling BS.

[ QUOTE ]
    This is turning into one of those urban legends forums now! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-huh /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Until you can pull a semi truck (40,000lbs) 5 miles...and keep up with traffic like I did with my K5 with a built 406... I won't be impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bulls**t... I don't doubt you pulled a semi, but something is wrong with that statement. Its either the 5 miles, the 40,000lb semi, keeping up with the flow of traffic, or all the above something is Bulls**t. Go lie to your friends. thats what they're there for.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why are you so suprised? Speed limit was 30MPH and I was doing about 25 or so, so I was right about with traffic.
    Rig was around 35,000 to 40,000lbs. We were about 5 miles from the shop. Why would you think 5 miles is BS, if I can pull him 5 miles I could pull him 50 miles. What is so suprising?
    My dad has pulled loaded trucks(80,000lbs) with a 2wd C30 with a 454/th400,not very fast but has done it. It doesn't take a lot to pull dead weight when you have a decent power plant and gearing.

Why would you bring up an old thread and make a big deal out of something that really isn't all that hard to believe at all. I am very suprised you would be the one making a big deal about that since you are in the trucking business also and have probably done/seen using a pickup, blazer, burb etc.(something that makes a enough power) to pull a semi around for one reason or another.

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've seen a post like this before and it recieved similar replies. Here's where you went wrong:

1. You made a point of bragging about it. People don't like braggards. If you had simply said "I once had to pull a semi 5 miles to the shop at low speed" nobody would have said anything. You made it seem like you hooked up to a semi and pulled the sucker with no problem. I don't care if you have a big, powerful engine: it wasn't an easy task like you make it sound. I pull for a living with a 94 454 1 ton and a 2004 1 ton Ramjet 502 and even with these trucks it wouldn't be an easy pull.

2. If you did actually tow the semi through town, you broke a whole bunch of laws. Bragging about breaking laws is immature.

3. Once again, if you did this, you commited a VERY unsafe act, which is highly irresponsible given the fact that you admit you "had traffic around you". If you had had to make an emergeny stop(like if a little kid ran out onto the road), do you think your K5 would have been able to stop the "40,000 lbs" behind you in time? Stupid, just plain stupid.

Like 4x4gunz says, save your bragging for your friends.

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ok I want to see the tow bar that You used!!!
    I know You didn't pull no semi with a strap or chain. For one the semi would have to be running for the brakes to work and even if they were working once they were applied even at slow speed your recever/bumper would be ripped of Your Blazer. Anyone who has ever used air brakes knows what I mean. I don't dout that You could pull a semi (with out any trailer of course) but the stress level involved would trash Your Blazer and like I said the braking is the big issue. Oh and I do know what I'm talking about. I have been in on several big rig tows that involved the biggest 4 axel wrecker in N. Califonia. The first thing that was done was to tap in to the air system to get air to the brakes of the towed vehicle so as to take some of the load off the big wrecker.
    Bottom line Brother, You can't bullshit a bullshitter.

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I've seen a post like this before and it recieved similar replies. Here's where you went wrong:

1. You made a point of bragging about it. People don't like braggards. If you had simply said "I once had to pull a semi 5 miles to the shop at low speed" nobody would have said anything. You made it seem like you hooked up to a semi and pulled the sucker with no problem. I don't care if you have a big, powerful engine: it wasn't an easy task like you make it sound. I pull for a living with a 94 454 1 ton and a 2004 1 ton Ramjet 502 and even with these trucks it wouldn't be an easy pull.

2. If you did actually tow the semi through town, you broke a whole bunch of laws. Bragging about breaking laws is immature.

3. Once again, if you did this, you commited a VERY unsafe act, which is highly irresponsible given the fact that you admit you "had traffic around you". If you had had to make an emergeny stop(like if a little kid ran out onto the road), do you think your K5 would have been able to stop the "40,000 lbs" behind you in time? Stupid, just plain stupid.

Like 4x4gunz says, save your bragging for your friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I may have come off sounding braggish but I was proud and honestly suprised my K5 was able to pull it. I apoligize for coming off braggish. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I wasn't bragging about breaking the law at all, I was commenting about towing and thats all, I agree it wasn't the smartest thing to do and I wouldn't have done it if it was an engine related problem but luckely it was just a yoke/driveshaft prob and he had the motor idling the whole time and was using his brakes to slow both of us down.
    I didn't have much of a choice at the time because the truck was sitting in the middle of the intersection blocking traffic. What would you have done? left it there for the highway patrol to come along with a 400$/per H wrecker to move it?

I am not saying it was an easy pull at all because it wasn't. I was in low range hammered down doing about 25 or so, not ripping that thing down the highway loaded down with frieght at 70mph.
    I don't mean to brag but I don't like being accused as a liar either!

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok I want to see the tow bar that You used!!!
    I know You didn't pull no semi with a strap or chain. For one the semi would have to be running for the brakes to work and even if they were working once they were applied even at slow speed your recever/bumper would be ripped of Your Blazer. Anyone who has ever used air brakes knows what I mean. I don't dout that You could pull a semi (with out any trailer of course) but the stress level involved would trash Your Blazer and like I said the braking is the big issue. Oh and I do know what I'm talking about. I have been in on several big rig tows that involved the biggest 4 axel wrecker in N. Califonia. The first thing that was done was to tap in to the air system to get air to the brakes of the towed vehicle so as to take some of the load off the big wrecker.
    Bottom line Brother, You can't bullshit a bullshitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

We used a load tie down strap(5"wide) double looped and tied. It was a driveline/yoke problem and the motor was running the whole time along with the functioning air brakes and yes.. I do know what your talking about, there was a couple of very jerky stops. A good chain or strap works just fine, we use chains all the time in the field pulling out farm equipment that equals or exceeds the test of a chain than what it takes to pull a truck on asphalt.
    You obviously know what your talking about with being in with a few wrecker tows which is the right way to do it but have you ever been in on when there wasn't a wrecker around or in any truck towing situation besides towing with a wrecker? That reciever hitch is connected damn good to our trucks and I agree to that the jerking was hard on it, believe me I was waiting for it to rip off the frame coming to a stop. As far as trashing my blazer, yes it was hard on it but did it trash it? No! I'm sure the tranny wasn't exactly running nice and cool and neither was the motor but It didn't damage anything. If I did it everyday the tranny would probably be done after a dozen or so more times but once didn't hurt it.

Think about truck pulls...do you relize how heavy those sleds are? plenty of stock and mildly built trucks compete in truck pulls all over the country all the time.

Oh and I'm glad you dont doubt that I could pull the truck because I was obviuosly pulling both the truck and trailers. You haul the load on the trailers and the truck is useless without them so why would you have thought the trailers weren't there? A stock 350 1/2ton could probably pull just the truck because it would only be about 10,000 to 15,000lbs of dead weight to pull, not much more than a good size boat and trailer really. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A good chain or strap works just fine, we use chains all the time in the field pulling out farm equipment that equals or exceeds the test of a chain than what it takes to pull a truck on asphalt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say there about the chain, but here is my 2 bits. According to BillaVista's recovery bible, the force a rolling load on a level, hard surface is equal to 1/10 of the loaded weight. So when RJF pulled the semi weighing in at 40,000lbs he had 4,000lbs of straight force pulling against his receiver. It sounds feasible -- but scary.

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    According to BillaVista's recovery bible, the force a rolling load on a level, hard surface is equal to 1/10 of the loaded weight. So when RJF pulled the semi weighing in at 40,000lbs he had 4,000lbs of straight force pulling against his receiver. It sounds feasible -- but scary.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly, and it was a little scary. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

For the farm equipment thing... I just meant that we have pulled stuck/broke down tractors with other tractors that can pull much harder than my k5 ever could and we use a plain old chain. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif