Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

r-12 ac info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 13lazer, May 30, 2006.

1. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

my grandfather was gathering parts to open an auto ac shop after he retired in 1981, i have 1-1/2 30lb bottles of the pre-ban freon. can somone post some links to info about maintaining and/or repairing these old systems. i have enough old parts and the necessary tools to piece together my ac systems. i don't have any books nor have i ever seen this work done. thanks

2. shockline

shockline Registered Member

I just redid my 84 AC system. If you have all the parts then you just got to put it together and charge it. The 30 lb canisters are worth 200 - 300 each on Ebay. If you dont know what your doing i would recommend getting some help because you dealing with high pressures and very very cold gas.
    I got a local guy to help me charge my system and all he wanted was a cold beer. Its good to have friends.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Not to mention a very expensive mistake if you blow $300 worth of freon if you have a leak. I would strongly suggest having someone who knows what they are doing teach you about a/c systems before you try it on your own.

In all honesty I think you would be better off just going ahead and converting your system to R-134 if you are going to put a complete system together anyways.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most states have license laws to buy the stuff or sell it.

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

IIRC its actually federal regs. I was looking at a local craigslisting and found this.

This guy was charging $300.ea for what you have and $125 for the 30# r-134