Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R-12 to R-134a conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89k5blazr, Jul 2, 2002.

1. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

Has anyone done the conversion on there A/C from R-12 to R-134a?? How hard was it? Where did you get the kit from? How much did it run you? How hard was it to install? and overall was it worth it? oh yea.... and i have heard it isnt as good(cold) as R-12.. agree/disagree? -THANKS EVERYONE~

2. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Had a shop convert my Jimmy, works fine here in Illinois. Same shop converted our 89 Safari van and air is marginal. Went to Florida 2 years ago in July and it wouldn't cool at all when we were idling in traffic. Have thought about changing the condensor to a larger one, but don't know if that would solve the problem. Lot of good info here

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I did mine, didnt work well at all thinking of riping all the ac stuff out.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I dont know much about it other than its whats in mine...but theres a new r-12 out there thats as cold as the old stuff but around the same price as 134

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

My '84 K20 had it done prior to me owning it. It worked well, maybe not quite as cold, but did good enough for here in Cali. Its not a terribly hard conversion to do.
    You have to flush the system, change all o-rings, add a special barrier PAG oil that coats the inside walls of your rubber lines so the new smaller molecule R134a doesnt escape. You would probrably want to change the rec./dryer since your system will be down. Also replace the oriface tube. Wal-Mart sells a generic kit with decent directions, but you will still have to go to a real parts store for the hard parts. Give it a shot.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

A conversion kit is about $35. It includes 3 cans 134, 1 can oil charge, hose and valve, and charging port adapters. There is also a new additive out that helps the AC cool better. I think its called Cool Down. I've heard it works really good, I havent tried it yet but I plan to when I get my truck goin again.

I have converted my 79 K10 and 75 Scout and they work pretty good out here in West Texas. It takes it a little while to get cool but out on the highway it will freeze me out.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

8. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

How hard is a complete AC System removal?

9. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

You might want to check out "Freeze 12".
    It is supposed to be R-12 compatable and work almost as good.
    I found it here at a local store for $8 a can. And you do not have to have an A/C license to purchase it.
    Just remember do NOT add PAG oil unless you do a complete flush of the system, it will jell up and lock up your compressor.
    I myself ripped mine out and am looking for a York compressor, so I can use it as an air compressor.

10. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I changed my '87 over to R134a, a couple of years ago. All I did was change the fittings, had it sucked down, add the can of 134a oil, & charge it. I have had no problems, and it will freeze your tusch off! One of the guys at the shop (Where I work), thaught if it didn't cool real well, we might have to change the receiver/dryer out, for a new one. Good luck!