Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R-12 to R-134A Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lazydog, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Hello all, anyone ever do this type of conversion? Are there any good books on the subject? I'd like to learn how to do my own a/c service so I don't have to rely on a mechanic. Thanks

2. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

It's easy. Just buy the retro-fit kit for $34.95 from Advance Auto. Instructions are included. 15 to 30 minute job...tops. I did mine this spring. No problems at all. The only catch is that you are not supposed to let the old freon out. You are supposed to recapture it.

3. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

You can get the retro kit from about any parts store or at wal-mart for about 35 bucks. I did my old s-10 and several buddies vehicles all it is, is simply a couple of fittings, very simple. Tehonly thing is is that you LEGALLY aren't supposed to let R-12 into the atmosphere and are supposed to take it to someone that is licensed and has a refer. vacuum to recapture it. All you really have to do is keep your voice low when talking about it and dont' do it out in front of an EPA office and just pull hose it will all leak out. Pretty much. Then reattach the hose, remove old fittings and put in new ones (they look similar to an air chuck)and put in the suggested 4 cans. I don't think I have ever used anything under 4 and nothing over 7. Put 7 in my s-10 had really cold air but the unit presure was pretty high so that was actually pretty stupid and dangerous and I don't suggest more than about 5 or 6 cans. And then your on your way to ease and cost effectiveness if it all leaks oout by next spring/summer. Hope it help. Good luck. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif