Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R/C airplane suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blaze, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Kelly told me she wanted to buy me an R/C airplane for Christmas. She wanted it to be a surprise, but she didn't want to get me something I didn't like. She said she was looking at spending around $130 for one. Anyone have any suggestions? I have never flown one before, so it would have to be one that is easy to fly and pretty strong to withstand any dumbassedry. Any suggestions?

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

First.. is she saying $130.00 total? ie Plane, radio and engine?? If so your looking at a Park Flyer.. most likely electric...not much fun IMO... If not then you can get a .40 size trainer ARF for around $100.00...engine $65.00 and radio for $150.00 plus fuel, glow plug driver etc... in the neighborhood of $400.00 total. You can check out all of these items at http://hobbypeople.net/ Any other "Q's" you can PM me.. I've been flying for about 10 years now... it's a blast.. hence the name "rcpilot" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

What if I buy a decent trainer for around $85, then buy a used engone and radio off of eBay? Think I may be able to come at somewhere in the $130-$150 neighborhood? $400 is just not an option unfortuantely. I've never flown one before and I just need something to learn on and fly and eventually get a $400 plane once I don't suck so bad. :P

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Cool! R/C planes are great but they can get a little spendy.

Check out Tower Hobbies for some of the best prices on RC stuff.

They have complete kits and individual components available.

Since you are just starting out, you may want to get an electric plane to practice on. They don't require anywhere near as much support gear and you can check it out without spending a bunch of $$$.

Here is a good kit from Tower.

If you want to get into flying the gas (Nitromethane) powered planes then you really should find an airfield near your house and stop by on a Saturday morning and talk with the guys who are flying. I've met folks at airfields all over the country and most of them are really helpful when you have a question.

If you decide to make the big investment in a complete plane and all the support gear then you can usually find an expert pilot who will gladly take your plane up for it's first flight, get it all trimmed out and give you a hand figuring out how to fly. This will (hopefully) save you from destroying $100.+ plane before you even get off the ground. Make sure you buy him lunch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif .

You could also take a look on Ebay. I've found lots of great deals there but you really need to know what you are looking for or you may get ripped off.

If you ever want to fly at a maintained R/C Airfield, most require that you are a member of The Academy of Model Aeronautics. For your annual membership ($19.95 for your first year) you get a bunch of benefits. The reason you are required to be a member at most airfields is because of the insurance you get as pasrt of your membership:

Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars and Rockets

$2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners and sponsors

$25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members

$10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members

$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for membersPrimary Site Owner Insurance - up to $5,000,000 each location

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info! I'll probably start out with a small electric plane and then progress from there. A friend at work used to be big into them about 10 years ago, so he said he'd help me out as well.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thninking about insurance at an R/C airfield just gives me this image of me flying my own plane into the side of my head accidentally. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Like Goober said, try to find a local flying field/club... alot of times someone has a plane or two they are selling and you can get a good deal on a used one...

If you use ebay be carefull on the radio you buy... make sure it is "Gold Sticker" meaning it was mani after 1991 (I believe) if you get an older one that is not "Gold Sticker" then you will not be able to fly at most fields... I'll check around to see if I can find you a radio/engine deal..
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

8. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thninking about insurance at an R/C airfield just gives me this image of me flying my own plane into the side of my head accidentally. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I had a "Friend" fly his .60 size (ie big /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) acrobatic plane into my leg last year while he was praticing hovering it.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif it knock me down and put a 3 inch gash into my calf... the prop cut through my Levis like they were butter...I should have known better then stand next to him while he was doing this /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

The only problem with those little planes is that they can be squirrlly (sp)... a bigger plane flies better...there are some small electrics that fly pretty good... I can check with my buddy later on his recommendation.. he is an electric plane guru...

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I appreciate all the help, fellas. Kepp the suggestions coming! I really appreciate it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Damn, that must have hurt when he hit you with that plane. A lady I work with's husband flys 1/4 scale planes, imagine getting hit with that! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

What about this one?

Kelly said she wants to buy me something to learn on and if I really get into it, we can get a better one. So the less I spend on this one, the more I will have to spend on a bigger one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I also have a R/C glider that is still in the box in pieces. I bought it 10 years ago to build, but never even took it out of the box. I just may build it now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Damn, that must have hurt when he hit you with that plane. A lady I work with's husband flys 1/4 scale planes, imagine getting hit with that! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well theres your answer for an experienced pilot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif tower is a great eStore. ive bought probably $1k worth of RC crap from em, and its all been shipped rapidly and in good order. the one time my order got screwed up (got a HPI micro RS4 RTR instead of the kit), they had it fixed within 2 business days. just beware of the scratch and dent stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

My boss got his son this Plane for Christmas. I like the way the prop is behind the cabin for protection. Other than that I think it's ugly /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Looks to me like a good beginer plane. I'd hate to tare up somthing you put alot of money into. Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I had a "Friend" fly his .60 size (ie big /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) acrobatic plane into my leg last year while he was praticing hovering it.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif it knock me down and put a 3 inch gash into my calf... the prop cut through my Levis like they were butter...I should have known better then stand next to him while he was doing this /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifIve got scares from my .46.

15. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifIve got scares from my .46.

[/ QUOTE ] Amen... any motor I'm around I've always been cautious... it's when you think they won't bite that they do /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

When I got hit I did'nt feel it at first... but later that evening, after a Hospital vist and when the Vicadin wore off it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

The plane that Stomper links to actually flies really good...It's flight controls are very basic.. I believe it just has elevator and rudder... with a .40 or bigger trainer you get throttle, elevator, rudder and ailerons.

Take a look at the webs sites and check out a local field and you'll find something you like... you can always upgrade later...kinda like starting with a stock Blazer and later saying "But Honey all the other guys have..." or "But Honey there's a great deal on...." /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Be careful.

Once you get started with bigger planes and bigger engines it's hard to quit.

I've got a spare 28cc weed eater engine that is just begging to get put into a 1/4 scale Corsair! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I can definitely see myself getting really into these things. I've always liked r/c airplanes. There was an R/C flying club next to my neighborhood when I was a kid and my best friend and I used to walk over there and watch them fly alot. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm already thinking my next plane is gonna be a WWII fighter plane of some kind. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif