Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R/C cars?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blaze, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to buy a nitro car and needed a little advice/direction. I have $250 to spend and want to buy a nitro car. I am thinking of a 1/10th scale HPI car with a Trans Am body on it. Gotta have a Trans Am body, you guys know me! Well, maybe a Camaro body, but preferably a TA. Some of the guys over on fbody.com have led in me in a direction, but hoping you guys could help me out too. I've been searching eBay and have found a few for around $200. Decent shape, just need to buy a new body. What do you guys think, or is it better to buy a chassis and build up from there? Anybody know of any other sites to look on or anybody have anything they might want to sell? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i prefer the hpi chassis'. they have alot of support from the company for support and parts and aftermarket stuff is pretty cheap for them. i've had three of them and loved everyone of them.

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

that looks like a sweet deal. i had a nitro rs4 and then bought a nitro rs4-2 and now i've sold both of them but i kept my baby. super nitro rs4 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Go post in this guys forum.

DMZ raceway

He is a buddy of mine and he just opened up this page. He has his own track and hosts his own races. Knows quite a bit about them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Here is my advise:

Stick to ONE expensive hobby. My K5 sucks enuf of my money away that I don't even bother look at other hobbies... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif how do you do it?

-Dan

7. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

Here are the best two pieces of advice on buying R/C's;

1. BEFORE you buy go to any local hobby shops and see what cars they stock the most parts for. (I know- I can just buy any parts I need online.- that's true, but nothing sucks more than being stuck looking at your new car because that hub carrier, dogbone, a-arm...etc. is going to take 5 days to get to you. and you will break parts.)

2. Be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you want an on-road car. Road cars are very fun, but if you don't race or have several friends with road cars they can get boring. Seriously consider a stadium truck or a monster truck, they both can be set up to run very well on-road, and can be easily set back to run off-road. Never underestimate the hours of fun that can be had by jumping over stuff.

Tom

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I went to my local hobby shop and they have a ton of stuff for HPI cars. I've always wanted an on-road car, too. Maybe later I'll buy a truck, but right now I'm thinking of racing the car.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

no chit. I dont see how the heck people pull off having tons of wallet draining hobbies. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I just have some money left from selling a big Trans Am part. My wife said I could use it to buy an R/C car.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have never owned an HPI, but I do have a 2.5 T-Maxx and a Losi XXX-NT.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I think that price is maybe a little high, but not too bad. Remember, you still will need a radio, reciever pack (alkaline that comes with the radio will work, but, a rechargeable will be much better if you are going to race), a glow igniter, and fuel. If you are planning to race, you will want a decent radio. I recommend FM, I have had good luck with my JR XR3 they are reasonably priced, and have many features you think you won't need -trust me, you will when you start racing.
    tom

14. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'm not going to go with that one. I found a brand new HPI online with radio and reciever and a Camaro SS body, .15 motor and everything I need to run it for $260. I might go with that. My wife and I are gonna hit the local hobby shop after work and see what kind of deals they have. Thanks for the help!

15. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Blaze,

It sounds like you're pretty much set on getting a road car, and that is cool, but I Need to agree with Chosen(1) for a moment.

10 of us at work got together and bought Losi XXX-NT trucks. They have been a blast. We have set them up and run crazy fun races in the parking lot (On road), but we can also switch tires and shred things allover off road too. The stadium trucks can do everything pretty well.

If you're the type that's into K5s and dirt (Like all of us), it is only a matter of a short time from when you buy the on-road car and start thinking about that dirt pile you just saw......... and wish you could jump it.

Think about it,

-Ben

16. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i say get a t-maxx the on road cars get old quick and jumping the t-maxx is fun /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

T-maxx's RULE !!!

18. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, the trucks seem to be more expensive. I found a guy willing to sell me a complete HPI on-road car minus body for $170. I will probably get a t-maxx later, though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif