Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R&R Doors?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Feb 25, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to remove and replace the doors on a first gen? I'm thinking of making some custom half doors for the summer w/ some inserts. Then putting the stock doors back on for winter driving?
    Anyone done this? how big of a PITA is it?

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

2. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I just took mine off to replace the rockers. You have to take off the fenders to get to the door hinge bolts, and to take off the fenders you have to take off the cowel. Not too tough but not fun either. You can take the fenders off without taking out the wheel wells. I haven't hung the doors yot but im sure that will be a real pain to get them to line up perfect. You can mark the hinges where they connect to the A pillar so hanging them shouldn't be much of a problem, but mine weren't hung straight in the first place so i didn't bother.
    Jeff

sold my girlfriend and bought a blazer

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I need to go look at mine but aren't there bolts on both the door and the pillar? Also couldn't I just fashion some pins and break the hinges at the pin?

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dude just make your pins removable like a lot of guys are doing. That's what I plan. That way I can get another set of outer hinges and mount my tube doors permanently to them. Easy on and off with both sets, already shimmed up to fit.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there are bolts on the door too. I wasn't thinking. There are three per hinge, should be real easy to take the doors off. I like the removable pin idea too.

sold my girlfriend and bought a blazer