Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R the Irok tires good on street?? What about other tires???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Supreme70, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

They look great for off road but what about on the street, will the knobbys wear fast on the street, I was going to go with the M.T. baja claw, but they stop making the 37x13.5 x16lt bias. I didn't want to go smaller or bigger so trying to find a new tire, I'm looking at Irok, thornbird, Supre Swaper Sx or Maxxis -Creepy Crawler would love input on anyone of the tires. Looking for the best of both worlds street and off road, Help me out guys!

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

maybe a 37" Goodyear MT/R would be best for your application. the tread pattern on the Iroks look to be spaced pretty far, which would put alot more stress on each individual lug, causing it to wear faster. what kind of wheeling do you do? and what size wheels are you running? whatever you do, avoid Thornturds like the plague.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I think hipinion had a thread on the irocks.... I wouldn't go with anything but radials for the iroks if its gonna be a dd.

Baja claws are a damn good tire but they won't be able to clean as well as an irok or a tsl. Just got too much tread for real serious mud. My bro had some 31 10.50's on his jimmy and they grab real good. Real good hillclimb tire and trail tire.... If your gonna be doing sand runs the baja claw is unstopable. I would go with the 36x13.50 iroks but i will never see sand more than once or twice... its all mud and trails up here.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

I run in mud, sand, and lots of trail here in Michaigan, I want to get the M.T. Classic ll wheels. I want to run 16 in rims.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

BFG M/Ts are available in 37 x 12.50 for a 17" rim, and they're proven to be a good all around tire.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i would pass on the m/t rims. i just got some and we sold a set at work. thay are cheap and quality sucks. the m/t logo was off on 3 out of 4 rims on the sale at work.

8. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

i am running 36 13.30 irok bias had them since october hardley any wear on them and in the mud they are great the tread is not spread out to bad. i like them on the road and off road. i am defintley going to buy a another set when these go out.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Mudhog here on the board reports ~12,000 miles on his bias 39.5's @ 70-75% tread left. I haven't had my 36's very long so I can't say on wear. Street manners are very good for a bias tire though.

Also I was poking around the Interco site and noticed that the bias 36x13.50 is slightly taller than the bias 37x14...so don't pay extra for the 37's unless you want a little wider tire :thumb:

I second that, I will get another set in the future as well, hopefully the 42's :pimp: Also reminds me of how even if these wear faster, I am impressed by the off-road performance so much I don't care how they wear. My SSR's wore slowly, but the traction wasn't nearly as good. I want a good performing tire first above how long they will last.

http://www.krazyk5.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

10. highlow

highlow 1/2 ton status

I had priced out a set of the creeply crawlers and they are friggin expensive pretty close to what the bfg krawler tire is going for. As far as a dd I would only put a radial on and rotate the hell out of them to make em last longer I got around 50,000 out of a set of bfg mts by constantly rotating them. Just my 2 cents.

EAT AMERICAN BEEF:D

11. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

whatever you do do not get thornturds, unless you want to get stuck everywhere :D

12. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

Was wondering if the Irok Radials are a good choice. I could rotate the tires for more life But Im wondering if they are as good aired down for traction.

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Aired down, I bet they are one of the best choices you can make but i don't have any experience.... I know their good for crawling tho: sidewalls on the 36's are 6 ply