Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R12 Freon.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 11, 2003.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Im not sure if my truck has R12 freon in it or not but Im guessing it does becasue its an 85. so does anyone know where I can get this or do I have to buy it from a mechanic? I live in Stockton Ca.

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

R12 is not for sale to the public. The system has to be recharged by a pro.

That is unless you can find someone with some bootleg R12. I remember Kmart used to sell the stuff in 1 pound canisters and when the word went out people bought the stuff like crazy.

3. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Here's an interesting DIRECT substitute:
    RedTek

This product is a HydroCarbon (refined propane/butane) but it apparently used in about 50% of vehicles in Europe as a refrigerant without incident. The places I have found it cost $17 CDN, so probably $13 US.

Lots of places here do not even purge the out r12 out, they just top the existing refrigerant up with this stuff.

No conversion, o-ring safe, lubricant safe, relatively cheap.

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on it this week.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

On the air unit (under the hood, near the firewall) will tell you the type of freon to use. My 88 uses R-12, had it recharged (3.2lbs) for $195. Sometimes the cost of the conversion can cost the conversion to 134 can be the same.

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

you cant get r12 readily anymore... the easiest way is an R 134a conversions...

you need two new schrader caps, a few cans of 134 a can of lube and a gauge... should cost around 40 bucks

6. 88Silverado

Any Automotive Aircondition repair place has R-12.
    I called 7 different places locally here and got prices from $300 down to $185. The cost of R-12 has come waaaaaaaaaay down over the last few years. You cant buy it off the shelf but licensed businesses can.

If your going to do the service yourself better have the gauges to do it. You need to evacuate the system, change the oil in the compressor, pull a vacuum to check for leaks (something is leaking if you need freon and didnt open the system yourself) then charge R-134 via guages. Fill about 80% of R-12 because 134 runs higher head pressure.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any Automotive Aircondition repair place has R-12.
    I called 7 different places locally here and got prices from $300 down to $185. The cost of R-12 has come waaaaaaaaaay down over the last few years. You cant buy it off the shelf but licensed businesses can.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can't make anymore R12 in the US. But shop can use what is still in the pipeline.

8. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    They can't make anymore R12 in the US. But shop can use what is still in the pipeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, I believe the manufacturing stopped in 1995.
    It is estimated that several million pounds of R-12 are still stored in the US. It will take a few years to get rid of it. It does appear since the conversion of R-12 started, the usused supplies didnt dry up as predicted and the demand for it is down. Thats why the price of R-12 has actually dropped, theres not as great of a demand for it now and some suppliers are sitting on a lot of surplus and are getting concerned they will not have a market for it in the future.

9. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

Just saw this in the Portland Or. Oregonian paper

Auto Parts, Tires, Repairs
    FREON replacement R-12, 12 can case, $150. 36 lb canister, $275. 1-800-807-9612
    Published in The Oregonian on 08/10