Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R12-R134 Conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, May 30, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

How hard is it to convert a R12 A/C system to an R134? What all does it involve? Any tips on doing it? Is it worth doing? Can any ol joe do it??? Thanks for any response....

2. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

I did it, and I don't recommend it. You'll need a new compressor, Accumalter/Dryer (sp). Mine doesn't work any way near the way the R12 did. If I could change it back I most definately would.

Rick
    86 K-5
    http://www.coloradok5.com/RMcPherson.htm

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

my big bro had it done last year and his truck is freezinf cold. i borrowed while my truck was down and i couldnt leave it high fan.(i live in tucson)! he had to replace to accumulator and get new valves for the low and high side. if the old system isnt totally drained of oil and freon the 134 will turn to sludge. my a/c is still doing ok but as soon as it quits im changing. i was told to use "ester" (i think)oil bcos its the best there is. good luck!
    creepin and crawlin
    jim

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Some guys say it works great others say it doesn't. The experts say most conversions will work for awhile, but if the compressor, dryer, and hoses aren't changed it will die eventually. Check out the discussions board at this site for more info than you can stand: http://www.aircondition.com

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I changed mine a year ago when the condenser went bad,just replace the orfice and have the system flushed. Replace all the o-rings for the new R134, then have a vacuum pulled on the system and fill with R134 oil and freon.
    Although the system seems to take a minute or more longer to really start throwing the cold air out, it works quite nicely.

The kit cost 40.00 or about as much as one pound of R-12

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

there are a couple of shops around here that are using a replacement called "fr12". nothing needs to be changed. used it in my 78 buick. not ice cold, but alot cheaper than a retrofit kit. don't really know what the fr12 is though.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

A similar product that I've used is "duracool" it's an organic r12 substitute. It's ice cold and completely compatible with r12

8. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

Would love to have a discussion with you about your AC retrofit. I also live in Tucson, I had it down in PA. Mine don't work worth a crap here in town

Rick
    86 K-5
    http://www.coloradok5.com/RMcPherson.htm

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Talked with a gentleman today that is all he does is the changeover, I asked about all these new pseudo R12's and he said to look at the can close, most of these are flammable.
    Hey I think it would be neat to get in to an accident and have a flame thrower under the hood.....duh

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

my system is totally drained of R-12, but I can't buy it down here. Should I get a mechanic to change it over to R134? Or does anyone know where I can get R12?

YEEE HAAWWW[​IMG]

11. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

That's true, but what isn't dangerous under pressure? From what I've heard it's perfectly safe to use...