Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R12 to 134A conversion!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLDSTEEL, Jul 4, 2000.

1. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Just finished the conversion from R12 to 134A, it works great, wish I would have done it sooner it would have saved a lot of $$$. If you have not done it yet and you need to service your system I recommend you switch over. Not just for monitary reasons but it is more enviormentaly friendly (so I've heard!).

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

2. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

How well does it work?

I haven't done the system in my 82 yet. It has a very small leak in the evap. core so I have considered it. My only reason for not doing it so far is how well the system works now when it's charged. I have a black truck(primer) in Texas. If this isn't a test on a system, what is. It really cools the truck well now. I have heard that the 134A doesn't work as well on the older systems. Have you done a vent temp. reading, or just seat of the pants feeling?...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/

3. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Re: How well does it work?

It works well in the Arizona heat. I have not done a vent temp yet, but I can tell you there is no sweat in my butt crack when I get out.
    What part of TX are you in I am living in Corpus area and will have my truck here next week.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

4. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

That\'s the best test I know...

No crack sweat= No problem:) That works for me. You hear so many rumors, you don't know what's true until you talk to someone that has done the conversion. I plan to pull the front clip this fall. That will require the system to be emptied. I guess that will be a good time to convert it. With that done, and more insulation (Dynamat)added to the interior when it gets re-done, I should be able to pass the crack sweat test even in August. BTW- I am from Houston, where the heat is hot, the humidity is 100%, and the mesquito's friggin huge...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

While in Va. on vacation I ran into an old friend that is an A/C pro.I did the convert a while back, he redid it for me and showed me some tricks...
    When you dump the R-12 remove and replace the orfice for one made for R134. Remove the compressor and tip it over and try to get as much of the old oil out, he flushed it with nitrogen. Then remove the dryer and tip it upside down to remove the same.While the system is open pour in the R134 ester oil, then have a vacume pulled to remove any moisture. Then refill with 3.25 lbs of R134 and you should have it.His explanation is that the 2 different oils will not mix and it will not allow the gas to mistify correctly. Once you get all the R-12 oil out it should work fine. After he did my system I did not have to stop for ice, I get cubes from the dash....hehehehehehe

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

All these nice stories, I hope it happens for me. My truck has been down for a while and hopefully up by the end of the week. While down I went through the AC. Replaced the orfice, dryer, and am waiting for the compressor seal and bearing to come in. Compressor is apart. Will be filling with R134. Also replaced all the o-rings in the system with new ones. It just has to work but with my luck........

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

7. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

My conversion doesn't work worth a &^%$ in AZ. Could you tell me who did yours, & what all you did. For example did you buy a new or reman compressor? I need to fix mine, I thik I got a poorly rebuilt compressor!

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com