Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R134-A Retrofit Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 9, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I saw this today at Pep-boys. It was a kit that had freon, lubricant, and the hoses to convert from R12 to R134-a. Has anyone used one of these before? Do they work and are they any good? Thanks in advance.

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Blazerguy, If you'll look back or search for "airconditioner" you should find this topic. I'm not of fan of these conversions, but several guys here have done it with good results. Look at http://aircondition.com for lots of discussion on the matter. I would stick with R12 for better cooling. Of course, that's just my opinion.......I could be wrong.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I used the same kit on my 86. First remove and replace the orfice, then all the o-rings, then have the system flushed, the pull a vacuum then add the R134. My system still works great, I have no problems with the conversion. Some folks have and I cannot vouch for the way the installation went on theirs, but I did mine myself and it works great...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

4. 65FL

65FL Registered Member

My 84 K5 has the conversion. The AC works great, the conversion was done before I
    bought it though. Can't comment on the quality of the kit from Pep-boys.

5. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

My truck is down right now for other reasons but I am in the middle of this. I did the conversion but I had a leak so it was a waste. I replaced the two o-rings for the lines that go to the condensor (radiator looking thing). I was told that you should replace the orfice but I don't know where it is on my truck or how it comes off. Any insight anyone? I bought a o-ring kit for the compressor but haven't taken a good look at it yet to know whats involved. Sorry for my lame terms but I was also told to replace the large cylinder looking thing. I was told these things as a general rule when doing the conversion, not specific to my truck. Any insight, I want the AC to work when the truck is going again, soon. Should I only worry about the o-rings? If so where are they all. The two for the lines going to the condensor and the back of the compressor? Sorry for all the questions, AC is not my field. I still don't quite understand what I need to do and I checked out the AC website mentioned and past posts. The Haynes manual is a paperweight when it comes to things like this. Its all remove and replace, useless manuals, but thats another subject.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Your low pressure connection is on the accumulator. The other is the high pressure connection, just behind it going towards the wall is a nut connecting it to the line that goes into the firewall, remove the nut and when the pipes come apart, the orfice will be in the pipe going into the firewall...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

7. TheEmissary

TheEmissary Registered Member

My K5 has a 134 conversion, which was done back in 1997. Never had any mechanical failure or side repercussions, but has anyone had a 200+ degree water temp when running the A/C?

For a few weeks now, I am now getting 10.5 mpg, in 95+ degree weather. I have been experiencing water temperature of 210 degrees, and frequent surging/hesitation. I have replaced 5 fuel filters, and spent over $100 for fuel additives, a carb kit, a brand new TAC sensor, and a gallon of Dex-cool antifreeze.

The Emissary
    1981 K5 Blazer 4 x 4
    305 (LE9)/THM350C/NP208

Other vehicles:
    1975 Nova

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Emissary, if your radiator is the original, has it ever been rodded? Over time, deposits build up in the tiny tubes that the water runs through to be cooled. These deposits act as an insulating barrier and reduce the ability of your radiator to actually cool the water.

A radiator shop can take one side header off of your radiator and soak it in a solution that partially disolves the deposits. Then they use special rods that just barely fit inside the tubes to clean out the inside of the tubes. Then they flush out the radiator and solder the header back in place.

If you ask nice, they can also beef up the area around the hose connectors on the radiator. I've had a connector vibrate itself completely out of the radiator once. The shop can wrap a heavy piece of wire around that area and solder it into place to make it much stronger.

Last time I had a radiator rodded, I took it out of the truck and carried it into the shop. $100 and a couple hours later my radiator was almost as good as new. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

9. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks Eagle86K5. I was told it was at that connection but didn't realize it was in the pipe. Anyone know if I should replace anything else besides the orfice

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro