Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R134a Conversion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by riggz, Jun 24, 2006.

1. riggz

riggz Registered Member

When I bought my 1987 K5, the previous owner told me he had converted the A/C to R134a. I was unaware of how to validate that at the time, but the A/C was cold and that was all that mattered. Now, 8 years later the A/C isn't cold. I had a recharging kit, but when I went to hook it up, the adapter piece wasn't the same. The kit has a quick lock adapter and the refridgerant tank has a threaded adapter. The sticker still says R-12. Is there any way to tell if it was actually converted? Or did the previous owner just blow smoke up my butt? Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. turtlenut2

turtlenut2 Registered Member

He's probably full of it. When you do a conversion you're supposed leave the adapters on the vehicle and fill out a conversion sticker and place it over the old R-12 sticker.

3. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Well maybe he didn't do it correctly. I've seen and heard of people doing some stupid things so it's possible that the PO removed the adapters for a second vehicle or he didn't read the directions. It's possible.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'd run it by a shop and have them ID the refrigerant type with their machine, then proceed from there.

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Doesn't really matter IMO. Do you have a gage set? If you're out of 12 or 134a you have to fix the leak/ compressor anyway. Don't just recharge it.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is possible to fill it with r134a through the stock fittings . Any appliance repairman has a tank of r134a on their truck in a 30 pound can with r-12 size fittings right on the tank . To this day the industry still uses the r-12 fittings on appliance tanks .

7. riggz

riggz Registered Member

yeah i think i'll just run it by a local shop and see what they say. cant take another day of this GA heat w/o some A/C! thanks for your input!

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's best. I converted mine and didn't change the fittings or put a sticker on it.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

to lose refrigerant in 8 years isn't by any means extreme to me. We get new cars less than 8 years old coming in all the time that need a charge and we can't find a single leak in the system. Now if it were like my 97 pickup where it blew cold last summer and hot this summer, now that is a leak situation.

10. riggz

riggz Registered Member

yeah, the k5 sat for about 3 years w/o being driven so i'm figuring that may have contributed.

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I can help.

I live in Carrollton, GA. Exit 24 off I20. Bring it to me next weekend and we'll fix it up right. I have a machine that will I.D. the refrigerant and I've got all the necessary tools to evacuate/repair/vacuum/recharge the system. Plus, I've got a lot of experience.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  12. riggz

riggz Registered Member

sweet. i'm not sure if i trust it just yet to make it that far as the tranny is a bit sketchy, but i'll see how she runs this week.

13. FWP

FWP CRS

What I was saying was, you really don't know if there's a leak until you check (like a shop would). Best to leak check, fix, evacuate and recharge.