Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

R4 or A6 A/C Compressor...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

My truck has been stripped from all of its a/c components from somebody who owned it before me. I
    need to buy A/C brackets and i need to know which ones to get; either for the long or the short compressor. I can get either compressor that has been rebuilt and changed over to R134-A. So it doesn't matter which one i get. So my question is do i get the Long (A6) compressor or the Short (R4) compressor, is one better then the other? This is going in my '78 K10 with 350.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. slider79blazer

slider79blazer 1/2 ton status

mines a 79 and has the long compressor. I don't know if the shorter one would fit. I think they were on newer trucks. But i'm not for sure. my .02

whats a 4 letter word for farm wagon? (ford)

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Well checker where im buying the rebuilt compressor says either one will fit my truck. So is one better then the other? if not ill just get the short one for a little more space.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

The A-6 is a better pump. The radial pump (R-4) or pancake style do not last as long, poor oiling. Needs servicing often.

Hope this helps.
    Later Ed

LET'S ROCK
    Don't follow me you will get STUCK!!

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

For what its worth, Ive had the smaller compressor on my blazer since I bought it 9 yrs ago, dunno how long its been on the blazer total time. I finally added two lbs last month. I know the other holds more freon thats about it tho.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim