Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Race Radio (Kenwood TM-271A)

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Impex, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

just bought one of these for my ranger but have some antenna mounting questions? is it best to mount it like drill a whole through the middle of my roor?

Antenna im looking at

and mount it through the roof with this?

but i really don't wanna drill a whole through my trucks roof /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif, think a magnetic mount like this is better??? just for desert trips.

magnetic mount

...thx guys /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

I would say the first mount would be best. If you're going to be bouncing around in the desert, especially if you're racing, the last thing you want is for the antenna to fall off and hit someone.

The hole you have to drill for that type of mount is fairly large and will seem like a bad thing to do, but if/when you ever get rid of the antenna, the mount is very low profile. There are small dust caps available that would make the mount almost invisible.

You'll feel better once it'd installed and everything is working. The first hole is always the hardest. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i won't be racing but will be having fun going through the woops etc. at high speeds never really thought about the mag. mount coming off. i do know that the first time i get lost or break down out in the dez i will be very happy i did drill that whole through the roof. like you said the first whole is the hardest /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I really like that antenna. I have had to make the same choice about drilling the hole in the roof. Most mounting holes are only ¾” and easy to cover later on.
    The antenna that you are looking at seems to be cut for the commercial bands. Too short for a ham radio.
    I have found the Larson antennas to be the best for off road. The Comet and Diamond types seem to break even before they see a tree.
    As another safety factor in the trees I use a ¼ wave antenna (Only 19” on the ham bands) and keep the larger antenna in the truck if I need the extra gain.
    Magnet mounts tend to pull off in the trees and in the whoops, although you can purchase some huge magnets that would hold the largest hf antenna that you could find.