Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Race seat mounting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Aug 9, 2005.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am in process of building my cage and ab just about ready to go across where my seats will mount. I have same JAZ racing seats (basically generic hard plastic seats summit and jegs sell). Anyone had pics or info on how they have mounted theres. Was thinking of using a peice of angle on each side of the seat that the seat will bolt to then mount that angle notched to fit the ccross over bars of the cage. Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

here is what we did. We had some 12"x1" C-channel and notched it in 4 places to sit over the tubes ans then just welded it in. drilled the holes for the seat and belts and bolted it all in. Was very easy and is super strong. I imagne you could do it with regular angle iron but id prolly use at least 2"x1/4".
    [​IMG]

3. MNorby

I like the idea of channel, would be uber-stought. Another idea was with angle could drill multiple hole son the side too then weld a peice of strap for each side of the seat on the cage tubing then could make it somewhat adjustable by changing the bolt-up configuration. Here is what I have to work with in regards to where my tubing will go across. Either one will be lower or I can make it raise up and go across for the front most one....

DSC02391.JPG

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is fairly off topic but...I have a set of Jeg's generic plastic high-backs and I'm extremely unimpressed with the reinforcement around the threaded mounting inserts, are yours the same way?

BTW, I don't have a cage yet so I modified the factory mounts and sliders, so I can't help ya on the mounting.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm using Corbeau seats. I ditched the stock risers, unbolted the sliders on top of the risers, fabbed my seat cage to fit those, the fabbed some very simple brakets to fit the stock sliders to the corbeau seats. Works great, and I kept the stock sliders so the passenger one slides all the way forward to aid ingress/egress to the back seat.
    Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the seats installed (almost ready to put 'em back in though), but here's one of my seat cage. (BTW, every cage point on the floor is supported underneath by a support to the frame, via massive OTR truck steering gear truck bushings)

[​IMG]

6. MNorby

well, I liked the idea of the channel but didn't have any so took 3" sq tubing and split it. Here is the driver side done. Didn't have the pass side seat at the shop so that will be tomarrow night. Thanks for the info?

DSC02411.JPG

7. 85mudblazin

Looks good :wink1:

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

where was that pic Chris? Klunatic?

9. 85mudblazin

No it was that one hill over in the comp area where that big rock used to be. cant think of the name.