Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Race To The Clouds"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jun 22, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

\"Race To The Clouds\"

Anybody go to the Pikes Peak annual "Race To The Clouds?" You know, the uphill race on the big mofo mountain in CO. Springs? I am planning on for next years race. Just asking if anybody goes to these races.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: \"Race To The Clouds\"

I like watching it on ESPN, especially when the big rigs race...

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Never have been to one, I've seen alittle on T.V. and coverd in mags. Man- do those guys have some bolz, hanging the tail out on a mountain road. Defenetly a pucker factor 8 or better.

Twiztid

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

When did it air on TV? Is it going to re-air? I have only gotten to see it once. I did get to see Rod Millen's shop about 1.5 years ago. Got to see and touch the record holding "celica" and see the "pickup" that they were building for last years race. Cool stuff (900HP, 130MPH top speed, 2000Lb of downforce at 100MPH, all in a 1900 Lb car)!

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. thatK30guy

I don't think it will air until later July. That event always happens around the July 4th week. I have never been to one, but sure am going to plan for it next year.

BTW, anybody know or heard what the fastest timed record is? If I can remember right, it was something like around 10 minutes or something. Anybody know for positive?

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I don't know or certain...but I believe Millen has been trying to crack the 10 minute barrier for several years. Last year the conditions were good but the Toyota Truck died around halfway. I think Toyota has dropped out for this year......Ragland drives an awfully fast Chevy up the hill...maybe he'll take up the slack!! Never been, but I'd like too.

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I went several years ago. You have to either spend the night up there or be on the mountain by a certain time in the morning. You can NOT leave until the race is completely over. The only way to drive down the mountain is on the road that is being used for the race. Most of the day is rather boring. The year I went (1986) they had an antique class that ran first. A good runner could have kept up with those things. Boring! They start with the slower classes and work their way up to the fast stuff.

The real road-rockets run last, after all the slower classes have cleared most of the loose gravel off the road. Speaking of loose gravel, don't stand or park anywhere near a corner on the track. Those things fling gravel for 50 feet or better as they power slide through the turns. Saw lots of broken windshields there! [​IMG]

Coming from sea level, I don't recommend camping at higher than maybe 10,000 feet if you decide to spend the night up there. Altitude sickness is more likely as you get higher than that. Imagine having the worst hangover you've ever had in your life, then double it. That's almost as bad as altitude sickness! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

pucker factor 8??? lmao

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

10,000ft !!!! Wow, I guess I should come <font color=red>DOWN <font color=black>for that...hehe. J/K Altitude sickness is no fun. The good part for you flatlanders is you'll only need to bring a 6-pack with you. Wes, I've always wanted to go but haven't made it yet. I'll join you if you go. Keep in mind, the higher you go up, the colder it is...even in the summer. I'm sure you knew that though. Anyway, let me know. By the way, Boring is only what you make of it.[​IMG].
    Sorry Harry, just giving you a hard time.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

10. thatK30guy

Harry, thanks for the info!!! [​IMG] I never did realize how 'boring' it could get! Just everytime I watched it on ESPN, they make a whole day event fit into an 'one hour' time slot on tv. [​IMG]

Dave, I will take you up on that offer. It won't be until next year as we are staying home this year because of the new baby. If you want, we can plan ahead for this and do our camping overnight too!!! [​IMG] Yeah, I know about the temps since we have been up Pikes a few times before. We drove up it once and rode the Cog Wheel one other time. The Cog Wheel was 'boring'. You fall asleep riding that thing! That overall trip on the Cog took 5 hours from start to finish!!! And the fact they gave us only a half hour on top was no fun either!!! So we drove later and spent more time up there!! Fun!! Yeah, it was a little hard to breate up there too!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The record is 10min 4sec. I heard a rumor that Millen lost his Toyota sponsorship.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

12. thatK30guy

Re: "Race To The Clouds"

Damn! Thats fast!! [​IMG]

BTW, I found this: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ppihc.com/>http://www.ppihc.com/</A>

I remember hearing and reading about the father/sons team, but cant remember their names now. DAMMIT! [​IMG]

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sad news from the mountain yesterday. A local driver was killed after his car left the course just 1/4 mile from the starting line. [​IMG] Details and video are available at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gazette.com/>http://www.gazette.com/</A>

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

14. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I went to the race 2 years ago.....camped at the top of Devils Backbone....(16 mile?)...anyways.....I camped one the mountain at 12000 feet......kept a headache the whole time....it was one cold windy (50+ mph) SOB....I stayed in the back of my truck since most tents were getting flattened by the wind.......there was a lot of waiting around, etc.....but the classes went pretty quick...lots of motorcycles.....then progressively more modified vehicles up to 18Wheelers!!!......those guys are outta their minds....they go like 150+ towards a hairpin curve on a three screamer cliff.....I stood on the inside of a hairpin, and got a pic of Millen when he did the corner.....turned out all you could se was his face in the window.....I was like 10ft away!!!......there are people that stand in the middle of the road to take pics, and jump out of the way when the cars get tooo close......HELL of a lot of really good people there to camp with...it was $15 for the ticket and I think $10 to camp....I'd camp at a much lower altitude next time, even tho I had the best seats for the race....let me know if I can help with more info....I'd do the trip again......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

15. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Was there for the pre trials, sucked that a local lost his life. I had to fly back to ([censored] hole Ga. before the race). Wish I could have stayed a few more days.

It a slice of heaven...

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer