Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Raced my Mercedes Benz today...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Grieby54, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Well... it's my dad's... but the point is we raced it. Little background info on my dad here. He built his first two cars -- '69 and a '66 Ford Mustang. Both were FAST. He lived in the country and did the typical Dukes of Hazard stuff running from the police, shooting bottle rockets at the cars of the guys at the drag racing strip -- then running from them if they chased (which was the whole idea -- that's how he had fun). So you get the picture that he's a good driver. Well we just recently picked up a 2001 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG. We both enjoy driving it and since he's out of town most of the time I drive it more. Being 18 (nearly... less than a week left!) I tend to... let it loose every now and then. So I know my way around the car and how she acts. Well I've got a friend who owns a 2004 Mazda RX-8 and his dad owns a Dodge Viper (R/T I think???) So they heard about a little track that we could go to where the locals liked to race and decided to go and invite us along. This track is in the parkinglot of a dog track, so it's fairly large. There were ricers-a-plenty and a few heavily modded nicer cars. An BMW M3, Corvettes, some Porsches... you know... the standard stuff ;) . So we regester behind my friends dad (with the viper) and nobody really gives it a whole lotta second glances. We step up and show them what we're driving and get all kinds of "ooooh"s and "ahhhh"s and "NICE CAR!" I didn't think it was a whole lot better than many of the cars out there... but now I know why they were all pretty amped about it. So the first heat goes through (My friend and his dad and the M3 and a Porsche or two, and a bunch of ricers). The guys with the heavily modded cars are putting down times in the lower 60 seconds. It was nice and sunny, all was well... then comes the second heat. My dad and I decide to switch off as it's just one lap at a time. So then it starts pooring rain. It was like a monsoon out there. I'm thinking "great... I'm gonna be putting down some SLOW times". The first lap my dad goes with an instructor, gets the high 70's, then I go with an instructor and I also get the high 70's. I was pretty impressed that I kept up with my dad like that. Now we decide to go together, and I'll kinda spot for him while he drives and likewise when I drive. Keep in mind that it's still raining cats and dogs, there is now HUGE puddles of standing water. The idea behind racing with cones is to be looking at the turn that's ahead of you, not the one you're in. 2 second penalty for knocking a cone over. We take off and I'm spotting for him, all is quiet so he can concentrate. He puts down a pretty decent time of about 74 seconds. We switch, I'm driving. I'm different than most people... I can't hardly concentrate at all without music blasting. So I crank the music and take off. After the lap is done I have put down a 68 second time. Switch again. My dad decides that the Traction Control System is taking too much power whenever we get a bit squirelly. So off goes the TCS. We take off and he looses the back end a few times but keeps it in control and lays down a 72 second time. My turn. Off we go, no TCS for me either. I am flying, music cranking, and by the end of my run I have put down a 66 second time. That's 2nd place out of EVERYONE in my class! (Classes are based on cars and what not). That's in the pooring rain, no traction control, against cars that were probably more powerful than mine running in dry weather. I'm flippin out. My dad's turn again, and I'm spotting for him. He lays down a 71 second time on his last run. Then I go again. After a few turns the TCS gets to me as I'm drifting around one corner I loose it. Not one to give up I romp on the throttle and bust a 180 and take off going the right way. Had I not spun out I would have laid down somewhere in the 64's, because I put down another 74 second time. Man... that car is fast and nimble as hell.... WHAT A BLAST. Next time I'll take pictures and videos, hopefully it'll be dry and I can grab first. That was so intense... I'm a BEAST behind the wheel!!!! I'm still not over it, and I can't believe how well I did. I put down better times than the Viper!

2. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Haha... still can't get over that some 18 year old kid put down better times than all these vets in their heavy modded cars. Even the ones that had dry runs lost to me!!! Muahahaha.... :haha:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a fun car and a fun day. :waytogo:

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

great :waytogo: i hope my son gets into stuff like that with me.you and your dad are lucky people.go give him a hug for me for being a cool DAD. :D

5. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

He's outta town right now... but I let him know that I really appriciate spending time with him as this is my last year in the house...

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Got a picture of the car?

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I've done that kind of racing with my 69 camaro before..not as easy as it looks. good thing I'm not afraid to look stupid in public. i did better when one the autocross veterans rode shotgun and hollered at me when I rode around.

After doing the autocross thing and taking some laps on a road course, drag racing bores me anymore.

glad to hear you had a fun day.

Tom

8. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Pictures... I can get real quick. Yea... it's tough. But what a blast. 2nd place isn't too bad for a rookie :wink1: .