Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Racetrack Gas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Oct 21, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I usually always go to 7-11 or Hess to get my gas (93octain) but I stoped at a racetrack on day beacuse I was really low and noticed a BIG differance I was paying $1.73 at 7-11 and Hess and it was only $1.60(mabe $1.61) at racetrack I never really though to higly of there gas but never had a reason too not... So do yall know somthing about It that I dont? Just kinnda wondering why its so cheap.. also where do most of you fill up? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I work at a service station (a Texaco). Its a mom and pop place and the owner says you get what you pay for (more or less) when it comes to gas. If you go to a bigger name chain like Texaco, Shell, Ammoco/BP, Exxon blah blah blah they put more detergent in their gas to make it burn better and keep the motor cleaner. He says if you go to a cheapie place then your not getting the levels of detergents that are in the higher quality gas. Thats why their gas is cheaper. Make sense? Im not sure what the cheapie places are in your area so this is just a generalization. I see your running 93. Thats the only thing I run, and I run it for a reason, people saying 93 doesnt help are full of crap but thats another discussion. So yeah Im loyal to Texaco since I work there, well I guess Shell too since theyre the same now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

i get the best mileage and less pings from chevron as compared to amaco texaco shell and exxon. only get the cheap gas when desprate...

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not loyal but I work at an Amoco/BP(converting soon), and I get free gas and whenever i don't have cash it doesn't matter so Amoco 93 for me. Flat top pistons and soon an advance kit, I'm sticking with 93.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

$1.60 for race gas???? I would find out more about that stuff....Sounds way to cheap, or old....I work for a fuel distributer, and our cheapest racing gas, and Av Gas for that matter is more than that.

If it is cheap gas, then go for it, but use caution, engine damage can occur....

6. florida4x4

Racetrack is a chain store here in FL the 27th state.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

FREE GAS? I would never have cash /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    be dont have ammoco or BP around here

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how often do you think I have cash? haha

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats the only thing I run, and I run it for a reason, people saying 93 doesnt help are full of crap but thats another discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Highjack: <font color="green">On.</font>

Might be, but I'll take it anyway. Octane is a rating for how well the fuel resists detonation. So higher octane means it takes more of a spark to light the fire. Since the fuel is harder to light off, it also burns slower. If the exhaust valve opens b4 the burn is complete you're wasting energy and that shows up in the form of lower fuel economy. You're getting less energy per gallon because more is going out the tailpipe as waste heat.
    If you run an octane higher that you need you're wasting your money on properties you don't need and aren't using.
    There is some sense in buying an octane slightly higher than the engine needs to stay out of detonation when towing or working the engine hard. But to buy 93 to drive around town when the engine can do it on 87 is a pure waste of money.
    Higher octane is in no way indicative of a higher energy content. All gasoline has roughly the same energy content per gallon.

Highjack: <font color="red">Off.</font>

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your totally right, octane should be chosen according to what the engine is going to be used for and most importantly compression ratio of the motor. I don't know where you guys get gas but here in CAlifornia it's only 87,89,91. No 93 at ANY pump. sucks for me.

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got a Sunoco station here that sells 110 octane at the pump-$3.75 gallon..........................

12. daleearnhardt01

Yeah I shouldntve said it like I did. I was trying to say that people who say higher octanes dont benefit cars that reccomend 87 arent necessarily correct. Heres my stance, try higher octane and see if it makes a difference, if not fine run the lower octane. I run it because I think my truck runs better on it and I also tend to follow the advice of my boss who has owned his gas station/shop for 30 years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh hears just an example, the owners son had a older taurus wagon and he gained quite a few MPG going from 87 to 93 octane. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I guess it all depends on the car/truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've met people that have been selling auto parts for a long time that are still stupid. I would hope your boss knows more about gas because he has done research, not because he's been selling gas for 30 years.

14. daleearnhardt01

Alright Im going to end it here since 30 years of real world experience obviously isnt relevent when it comes to knowledge. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. florida4x4

If you gain MPG by switching to a higher octane gas then your engine was suffering from detonation (audible or not). everytime the mixture detonates you loose power requiring to engine to burn more fuel to do the required amount of work. high octane is only needed for engines that detonate with 87

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    high octane is only needed for engines that detonate with 87

[/ QUOTE ]

What if your engine detonates with 93? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Damn, $4.75/gal Turbo Blue!

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Alright Im going to end it here since 30 years of real world experience obviously isnt relevent when it comes to knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

They weren't using knock sensors 30 years ago.

If an engine is knocking because of a problem, the ECM will retard timing as much as it can to stop the knocking. It's possible to use higher octane, reduce the detonation, and the ECM will no longer need to retard timing.

But the fact remains, if the engine needs more octane/works better on higher octane than the manufacturer states is needed, something is wrong, or has been changed.

I'm not trying to flame you in any way, experience does count. I've tried it in my vehicles before, and I'm pretty meticulous when it comes to MPG...I never noticed a difference, although if I increased my timing a whole lot until the engine started pinging, I could probably claim it did.

There's no harm in discussing this stuff, nor no reason to give up on a thread.