Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Racheting noise in 4WD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Hello, On my 76 k-10, I just put new warn premium hubs on it and a new axle shaft joint. Went to go put it in 4 wheel drive to test it out, and when you push on the gas and turn, it sounds like the front axle makes a ratcheting noise? A continuous virage of clicks. It does it in 4lo and 4high. It has the np203 w/ part time kit. Is this normal? I don't think it is, should I take the hubs off and put them back on. It sounds like its coming from the front differential (dana 44). Any help or info will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Sounds to me like you didn't put the hubs together correctly. IMO, the hubs are trying to engage (the ratcheting sound you hear) and are not engaging because the spring is not pushing on it correctly. I would take it back apart and double check your work (the stock manual hub on my 60 did the same thing because some of the internals were messed up).