Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

rachety / grinding noise - please help, I about to shoot the damn truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Goodolboy, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Goodolboy

Goodolboy Registered Member

I put a lift on my 87 Jimmy (full size). The truck ran great prior to the lift. The rear end started make a grinding rachety noise in the ass end when I decelerated. I put shims (6 degrees of angle)on. It seemed to help a little, but not much. I highly doubt anything is wrong with the rear diff (10 bolt) since it was fine before the lift. I'm would like some more ideas on what could be wrong. The angle of the driveshaft isn't that bad. Would an out of balance driveshaft cause this noise? By the way its a 10" lift. The front driveline is at a much worse angle and it operates great. I would appreciate any news thoughts. I have read past posts and they don't give me quite the help I need.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

try changing the u-joints...sometimes they make noise like that

4. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

10" on a blazer? No wonder you have a vibration! You may need to talk to these guys High Angle

Lower the T-case and maybe a slipshaft eliminator.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

10" lift and a 10 bolt? mall cruiser eh? anyway, i agree with all of the above.... especially if you have a np208 tcase. If you want to stick with the 208, you'll probably have to lower it, and get good HAD shafts + the appropriate amount of shimming to make the bad vibes go away. driveshaft length is another thing to watch for on np208s because it has a slip yoke... you dont want to be wheelin and while you flex your rig the rear driveshaft drops out the back of the case into the dirt. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

j