Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Racing/ speeding with your Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Nov 29, 2001.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I just saw this thing on TV with illegal street racing and started to wonder about how fast a Blazer can go. So has anyone raced their Blazer, or how fast have you gotten it?

----------------------------------
    soon to have a blazer/jimmy

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have topped my 454 out at the limit on the speedo which shows 85 mph. And that was on the interstate. Oh yeah, the 454 was screaming, too. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No street racing, just a deserted desert road at night. 115MPH. Not too bad, my 83 305/700/3.08 truck wouldn't go past 85 in the same situation. Dropped out of OD right about that MPH, so the RPM's were higher than I wanted that high mile hurting motor to turn.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Havent raced the Blazer but I have had it to about 80 ish prob. My Cherokee on 40s is a different story. I street raced it all the time. Highest speed is an estimated 130 plus. It had a 100 MPH speedo and it was beyond buried. That was STUPID not to mention scary! It was just a bit unstable [​IMG] being that tall at those speeds.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

few years back.....in a 79 K5....got a ticket for doing 62 on LBJ.....if you know Dallas, you'd understand how hysterically funny this is....(I was near Marsh Ln)......don't think I woulda got the ticket if I hadn't laughed at the cop when he told me why he stopped me........I thought I was maybe stopped for going too Slow.........anyways, at least HE thought I had a fast truck........

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

6. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

130 miles per hour? in a jeep cherokee? with 40 inch tires?

what is the part i'm misssing here???

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have my Jimmy up to 100 mph. I calculated it by the mile marker signs on the side of the road since the speedo only goes to 85. That was with 350/700r4 and 3.73 gears and 31s. I have gotten my burb up to 90 , at least thats what the thing said on the side of the road that tells you how fast you are going. Thats with 350/700r4 and 3.42 gears and 35s.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ditto!! [​IMG]

I'm wondering the same thing, too! [​IMG] [​IMG] "WTF?!?! 130 mph on 40's?!?!" [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

9. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

lol 61 on lbj, i would probably honk at u for going so slow. worthless cops.

phill

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Do you realize that you need at least 500 horespower to get a vehicle on 40s to go 130 mph. Thats at least you really need 600 hp. How long did it take you to get there? I know my buddys 69 dodge dart with a 340 took a couple of miles to get to 130 and that car is alot more aerodynamic. My car on the other hand with 2.56 gears got up to 170 in a little over a mile.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I've buried the speedo in my 84...so I guess atleast 90 mph.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Welcome to Bucketheadland</a>

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I got the Jimmy up to 100+ on night. I was pissed off, and some guy in a lowered 70ish K5 (2wd) got on the freeway next to me, so I decided to race him, and I had it pegged. Yes, I did beat his ass, he quit and got off the freeway. My old 305 wouldn't hardly push 75, but my new 350 is a different story!

I got my Dads F-350 ('92 460 4x4 crew cab) up to 100+ between Phoenix and Tucson. I made it from a 7-11 in Tempe to the city limit sign in Tucson in an 60-65 minutes. I was turning 3K in overdrive with it pegged at 95. I was following a Corvette, and I was literally watching my gas gauge fall.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

13. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: Racing/ speeding with your Blazer *DELETED*

Post deleted by K5Jimmy

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I pull my boat at over 70mph...

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

15. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

I've hit 121 before in my blazer with a 4 inch lift and 33's(worked 350)...or at least thats what my friend said who was driving beside me on the interstate ....still had a lot left, i just wussed out (scared for my life at that point), and havent done it since.
    it was kinda cool though, felt like i was driving a hovercraft....
    --not something i'd recommend trying at home

16. Pure Insanity

OK, 1st off I have no reason at all to BS, I was there. It was late at nite on a back road. It took a while to get there. It had a built 401 Jeep motor and 3:54 gears. It could take stock to mild modified 5.0 stangs to about 90 or so and I would back out. I would pull 1st to about 60ish and hit 2nd. By then I was coming on 90 and would shift to 3rd and back down. They would get me off the line. It had a 100 MPH speedo, and it was off. (slow) and it was very buried. That is why I said estimated 130. The tall gears allowed me to drive the truck for 3 days in 1st gear @ 50-60 MPH till I figured out I sucked into the hose part of my diaphragm from the modulator valve, and changing it didnt help.

PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

17. Pure Insanity

Re: Racing/ speeding with your Blazer *DELETED*

Post deleted by pureinsanity

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

"how fast?"
    Dunknow, lemme check....

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

19. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    All I know is i have done over 100 in my blazer with 350/350/203 and 3.42s. The speedo was pegged at 100 and the rpms were at about 4 grand, but i think my tach is off (hi). It gets up to 90 pretty quick, but is slow after that. At 100 things get kind of scarry. "Its kind of like driveing a really oversized pinto." I have also raced my truck in two low. Thats always fun. You can suprise the hell out of guys in fox body mustangs all day. Of course with 33s and 3.42s i can still get up to 50 or so in low.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

20. Pure Insanity

DD I didnt say it was in the 1/4. A vehicle will pull any tire w/ any ratio, to any speed as long as it has the power to pull it, and enuff room to do it. Aerodynamics help but not necessity. You said yourself, 170 in over a mile w/ 2.56 gears. You have the power to pull those gears. In essence I was running tall gears on a stock tire. Tire size has nothing to do w/ speed.

BTW I said it was stupid and I would NEVER try it again.

The only witness was a friend I seen go by the road I was on, which is what prompted me to do it. I was trying to catch him, after I turned onto the road. He said he was doing 100-105, and I came up on him like he was standing still. Damn near hit him too because I couldnt slow down fast enuff.

All I can say is that I know the combo I had, and I know what the speedo was reading that nite. It is possible. Ya'll can believe me or not, thats your choice.

GO</a>