Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rack on top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jackson 88K5, May 29, 2001.

1. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

I'm wanting to find a cool looking rack to put on top to use for hauling camping stuff and luggage while traveling on vacation. The idea came to me this past weekend when I took my family camping (my wife and three children). We packed the back and need more room. Has anyone out there put a rack on top of their K5?

If it breaks, upgade it.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

con-ferr accesories makes a keen looking rack....
    try 4 wheel parts. you can see it on thier web page. and if you call them then you can dicker on price.
    www.4wheelparts.com
    good luck its under exterior accessories.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of the Con-Fer rack

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1646726&a=12603897&p=46670470&Sequence=0>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1646726&a=12603897&p=46670470&Sequence=0</A>

(and no my Blazer doesn't look like that anymore)

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

4. Jackson 88K5

What size rack is on top of ur K5 and where did you get it?
    Thank you.

If it breaks, upgade it.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Yakima Thule Conn ferr theyre all good racks.. I bought my Yakima for super cheap at Play it Again Sports for hauling bmx bikes.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

7. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

How bout a rack for the hitch? It has lots of room also for lawn chairs, coolers, etc.

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

8. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Con-ferr makes one that fits over the cab. I've had one for two years, and it's great for extra cargo. There's a pic on the Truck mods page on my desertrider site - site is going down tonite, so if you want to see it.... I think kpanza also has the same rack, with a different mount than mine. Rated 250lbs, I've had no problem with up to 400lbs short term...

was fun while it lasted, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://desertrider.coloradok5.com>http://desertrider.coloradok5.com</A>

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

10. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have the factory luggage rack on my blazer, and I am contemplating building an inser tray out of tubing so I can haul more crap. Make it look kind of like a Con-ferr but with my own personal touch! I think I am going to bolt in some ammo cans for storage, mount a shovel, axe and Hi-lift and put some GIANT Hellas on the front, with some small lights wired into the rear for reverse action, cause it's a bitch to try and back up in the dark with tinted windows!! I hope to start this project pretty soon, if I had a scanner, I would show you guys the pics that I drew....Later.

<font color=red>1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs</font color=red>
    "Awh....Prarie $hit!!" -Blazing Saddles

11. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Jackson,

I have the Con Ferr rack on my 87, I love it! I got the 4ft wide x 5 ft long rack (they order them by inches, so that would be the 48x60 rack), the "Porthole" design, and with 6" high sides. Mine uses the "Bulldog" style clamps in front that attach to the raingutter drip rails, and in the back, mine attaches to the fiberglass top with their "Adjust A Mount" hardware, it uses rubber expansion bolts to attach to the fiberglass top. I have had this rack on mine for about 4 years, have never had a leak or other problem, just make sure that when you drill the holes in the top, that you work slowly and seal them up with plenty of silicone.

I have had a 35" tire up there the whole time, and I usually put a cooler and gas cans up there on longer trips. It makes for a great place to put things like skis and stuff also! Also a great attachment point for lights (both forward and side lights for me, and I guess you could also do reverse lights as well) Here is a link to a picture of mine, you can see the rack and how it overlaps the metal top and the fiberglass top. I wanted it this way so that I could ACTUALLY fit a tire up there, the smaller one that covers just the metal cabtop was not big enough for me to do this, would only be good for gas cans or a cooler maybe...also, one other point, when I take the top off every summer, I simply made some attachment hardware that mounts the rear part of the rack (there is no longer any top there to support it) to my top roll bar tube. If you get a rack that only attaches to the fiberglass top, well, you lose the rack when you take the top off! Anyway, here is a link, and if I get a better picture, i will put it up for you:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292593049&p=4269106478&idx=32>http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292593049&p=4269106478&idx=32</A>

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Oh, I found a pic of it with the top off out at Tierra del Sol, without my spare tire:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/picture/pb3cc4217e4cbdc5dc0e1582d307d7206/fecb0f4a.jpg.orig.jpg>http://www.zing.com/picture/pb3cc4217e4cbdc5dc0e1582d307d7206/fecb0f4a.jpg.orig.jpg</A>

If you are interested, let me know, I will get you a price on the rack you are interested in!

Keith

13. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Jackson, My rack is the same size as Keith's, 4x5 6" tall.

Keith, do you have wire mesh on the bottomof yours? If you do how'd you attach it? I was looking at mine last night and I'm trying to find the easiest way to attach it.Thanks

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

This rack looks really good. I would love something like that that I could also mount my overhead lights to. But, they seem quite pricey. Between the rack, mounting kit, and a floor, it comes to nearly $600! If you can get me one for $150, let's talk. If not, any other ideas?

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Is the rack easily removable? My Jimmy is a daily driver. I would probably want it off most of the time for clearance reasons in town. With 32s and a 4" lift, I will barely fit most places anyway.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, I looked up the costs: I can get the welded, one piece 5ft wide x 4 ft long (the same size I have) for $156.95. The only problem I see with this one is that it will need to be truck shipped, which will be a killer (at least $125 in my experience). The 4 piece, bolt together 5ft wide x 4ft long (same one I have) would be $212.95, but could be shipped UPS @ $25.00. This is just for the rack...the Bulldog Clamps (2) would be around $27 and the Adjust a Mount clamps (2) would be about $30...

I made my "floor" by going to a local Metal Supply warehouse and buying a 6ft x 6ft sheet of "diamond hole" metal sheet (I guess it is like fencing, but thicker) I cut this to fit the rack, then used a few bolts and fender washers to bolt it to the rack supports. After that I had a buddy tack weld the flooring on at the corners and edges, just to keep it from vibrating and bouncing. I then got a cheap piece of c-channel that I bolted to the front edge of the rack back to the first center support, this is to support the tire weight. It also serves as the mount for the bolts that I used to lock the tire down with - just two threaded bolts about 16" long that I bolted to the c-channel and come up through the "floor", then through two of the wheel lug holes, and "voila" I have my tire bolted to the rack for about $5! The "flooring" was about $20 if I recall...I would recommend getting the clamps from Con Ferr, it is not worth the time and effort to try to make your own, they work perfectly with the rack. I even used the Bulldog Clamps as mounts for my side looking "Rock Lights"!! And just used a piece of 6" L bracket to mount the Off Road lights...

17. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

sweet pic Kieth ! Can't wait to ramp mine !

18. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Oh, and just for your info, the Flooring Rack from Con Ferr for the 5ft wide x 4ft long rack would run $108.95...

And yes, the rack is a pretty easy thing to get off, especially if you have air tools...there are basically 6 bolts that need to be undone (I would leave the rear Adjust a Mount bases in the roof, you don't want to be taking them out all the time with the holes in the roof!) It helps to have a friend lift, they are awkward to move...I would think as you get used to it, you could get it off/on in about 10-15 minutes?? Maybe less if you don't have to take the tire off like me! Everyone asks me how do I get it down? I just tip it over onto the edge of the fiberglass top (the center is not strong at ALL) and slide it back to the rear, then I get on the tailgate and heft it off...obviosuly the only time I do this is when I take the rack off (pretty much never!) or if I had a flat tire (knocking on wood, but I haven't had one yet!)

19. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Jeremy,

Yeah, that was before my extended shock mounts with the Rancho 9012s up front and my soon to be rear custom shock hoop!! [​IMG] he,he Can't wait to do it again next month at my Club meeting! The Jeep guys already have a smile on their face when I drive way up the ramp, this time maybe their jaws will be a little slack?!! Oh yeah, and now I took off the spring bolts on the rear leaves (which I found to be totally restricting the ability of the leaves to "fan out"!! So, we will see what I score next time!! [​IMG] You can't make it up to Big bear with us next weekend (June 23-24)??

We need to start planning our caravan up to Hollister!!

20. Jackson 88K5

That pretty cool. Does it mount to the gutters above the door?

If it breaks, upgade it.