Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Racor filter questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, Aug 1, 2005.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

so I'm finally getting around to changing my leaky model 80 fuel filter so I dont burn up the starter on my 6.2, I'm looking into getting a Racor setup but I want some more info on them such as: what is the best place to buy them? if I bought this one: http://www.racorfilters.com/productdetails.php?number1=4&modelnumber=W230R2 would I need anything else to install it on my 85 6.2 suburban? will it be alright to run one racor by itself or do I need more filtration? would the filter I posted be the right one for my application (2 micron, 30 GPH)? any other info I need to know?

I know this should be in the diesel forum but I realy dont have the spare cash to get a full membership, but once I do I will sign up, this is by far the best 4X4 site ;)

2. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

racor is a good filter...just hard tofind...make sure you canfinda crossnumber for it...

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run the exact Racor pictured, but run a canister filter previous to it. Not sure on the level of filtration the spin on provides, but my Racor is also the 2 micron model and has the same water seperator bowl on the bottom.

My spin on housing has "AC" stamped on it...

Pic of the Racor:

[​IMG]

Pic of the pair on the firewall...

[​IMG]

Pic of the spin on filter...

[​IMG]

The filter housing for the spin on did not have a PN# that I could find. It was off an 83 one ton pick-up though and may have been factory.

hope that helps a little.

Rene

4. 1-bad-burb

thanks Rene, I was hoping I could just run the Racor by itself, I'll check to see if a parts store would have an older style spin on flter housing for a 6.2, but with my luck lately I wont find anything :mad: lol

5. tRustyK5

2 micron's is pretty fine filtering...I'm sure it'd be fine by itself, you may just have to change it out a little more often.

Rene

6. 1-bad-burb

7. tRustyK5

Must be a typo...

114 lph is litres per hour, which is 30.16 US gallons per hour.

2 GPH wouldn't feed a lawnmower engine if the grass was tall. :doah:

Rene

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Depending on your needs, racor makes a fine filter- again, depends on what you need more.

I have the 500FG, and the 900FG. Good luck trying to find a place to mount the 900. The 500 is a good size, and has a clear bowl to see the water and dirt. Unlke the one trusty pictured, they make both a spin on and a drop in media. Each has their own pro's and cons, but the drop in's are usually extremely cheap compared to the spin on. In additon, the drop in's dont need as much work to prime (depending on setup).

THe canister pictured is the canister used in the pre model 80 setup- (I think!). I have that in my 83 burb. Filters are kinda hard to find, being used only in detroit diesels, and not much else.

I personally am slowly switching everything to the large CAT filters or drop in racor filters, as every large truck stop has these filters in stock most of the time.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Speaking from past experience with the RACOR filters, you need to drain them periodically. Even if you do not see water in the bowl. If the filter element itself gets wet enough it will block off the flow of fuel. I once drove ~250 miles trying to get home at no more than 40 mph b/c of this.

What happens is that the water saturates the filter and will not let fuel thru those regions of the filter. So the filter LOOKS good, but still won't flow enough fuel for much more than an idle.

10. 1-bad-burb

thanks guys, I emailed the guy and he said the 2 gph part was a typo, so I guess I'll be getting that one, not looking forward to bleeding my fuel system after this though :( at least I have an elec. fuel pump lol

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

there's a guy on ebay that is really helpful and sells racors for CHEAP. I bought items from him before, good guy. He goes by the name PBTXXX.