Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rad support and front bodymount idea...

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by jarheadk5, Apr 28, 2004.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I got started on disassembling my front clip tonight for some rust repairs and fender trimming, and in keeping with this truck's track record, I've found that the bottom of the radiator support where it ties into the bodymounts is severely rusted. It's bad enough that I'm surprised the rad support didn't break way back when I broke one of the lower cup-thingys under the bodymount bolt (due to rust - can you see the theme here??? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif).
    Anyhoo, I got to thinking that instead of finding a rust-free rad support locally (fat chance...) or buying a new one (too much $$$), I could cut out the rusted bottom channel of my existing support and replace it with 2x3 tube. BUT, rather than keep the same 2-point front bodymount setup, I'd add another 2x3 tube crossmember between the framerails, under the rad support, and use a single,standard bodymount bushing in the center. This would (in my mind, anyway) allow for a bit more axial flex between the front of the frame and body, without causing excessive stress on the rest of the bodymounts. Plus, the added frame crossmember would end up right between the front spring hangers, adding some strength and lateral stability to the frame in this area.
    So what do you think? Am I setting myself up for a failure somewhere else, or might this actually be a decent idea? Keep in mind that I have to re-do all the other bodymounts too, due to (care to guess?) rust damage...

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do you really want to promote frame flex near the steer box?

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Good idea, and similar to one of mine, but keep both bushings and work on suspension flex

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, forgot I made this post... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

After thinking about it some more, I'm going to stick with the 2-point mount. Still gonna add that crossmember though, and maybe tie it in somehow to the steering box mount and ORD bolt-in brace, in preparation for crossover steering somewhere down the road. I'll be doing some cardboard templates soon to bring my idea to life, and I'll post some pics if anyone's interested.

BTW, 2x3 might be a bit overkill for the bottom of the core support. Is there such an animal as 1x3 with a 0.120 wall?