Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radial and Bias on same axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jishory, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

So I was wondering the other day while doing this why im not supposed to run a radial and bias tire on the same axle (I didnt go faster then 25mph). Anybody know?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not good!

They both handle SO differently from each other,it can cause loss of control at highway speeds over 35 and up..if you MUST "mix" radials and bias ply tires,put the bias ply's up front..

I tried using some bias ply studded snow tires on my van I had hanging around in excellent shape..figured studs would be nice in the snow..I put the all season radials up front,studs in the back,and went for a long ride to visit my brother up north..I did fine until I got onto a wet highway onramp...at 35 mph,the vans ass end suddenly started passing me!..I did a 180,and came to a stop up against the curb,in the blink of an eye..:eek1:

I had felt a strange feeling like the front and rear were fighting each other just before the ends swapped..I ended up using the studded tires in FRONT on my long ride instead!..I found it drove ok at high speeds,but did feel "squirmy"..traction wasn't a big problem in the rear in my van,it had lots of stuff in it and was heavy..the studded tires up front actually helped a lot as far as steering..but I took them off as soon as I got home,and put 4 radials back on..

I'd avoid mixing the 2 types..using just one bias ply out of 4 might not be so noticeable,but I can safely say if you put 2 of them on only the rear axle,you'll be doing doughnuts...especially bad on snow or ice,or even wet asphalt..:eek1: ..

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have 4 BFG MT's and one HMMWV tire on my truck and can't tell the differance any more. The biased tire was noticable as it pulled to the side at first. not too bad though

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Strange 5 wheeled truck?:confused:

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha:

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

damn you all, it's too early.:haha::haha::haha:

I not even going to edit it as it is funnay:rolleyes: