Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radial Vs non radial? Steel belted?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guest, Nov 16, 2003.

1. guest

guest Registered Member

OK im about tobuy new tires for my 74 blazer. I found a very good deal on Super Swamper TSL/SX's and my question is- They say that the tire is a "steel belted tire" does this mean that it is a radial? or if its not what is it? What is the difference between a radial and non radial tire? I do alot of wheeling,but I also drive every day on the street, Will the TSL/SX be ok? or bad?

2. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

the sx's are NOT radials. the steel belts inside of the tires are stronger than conventional nylon belts. radial tires are a 2 part constructionwith sides wall and tread sections. the bias ply tires are all 1 huge hunk of tire that is 1 piece all the way around. the radials do a ton better on the street. the bias ply will triangulate when they sit and you will have to warm them up until they get round and ride smooth. the sx's are tough tough tires with a very high puncture resistance. however because of their steel belts they take a little while to warm up. the bias plies aren't unbearable on the street that's what i'm currently daily driving you can handle it. in my opinion the bias ply work better when aired down because they provide a better footprint.

3. guest

guest Registered Member

so if i drive on the street, the tire are going to be like squares until they warm up? how bad is it?

4. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

more like triangles!!!!!
    it's not that bad and it only lasts for 2-3 miles. its like riding in a truck with incredibly stiff suspension that's all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i drive about 800 miles a month on the pavement with them, it's bearable.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

SX's are about the roughest swamper. I have rode in a few trucks with sx's and they shake and vibrate. I have had both the radial SSR's and my current boggers. I cant even feel the flat spots with my boggers and in my opinion they are as smooth or smoother than my old SSR's. Suprisingly enough the bogger is probably the best on road compared to the other bias ply intercos. The downside is they wear fast, the SX's wear just as fast as the boggers though.