Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator and Fan questions...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I hope I don't sound too stupid, but what does a radiatior do? And if I move it to the rear will it effect the performance of an engine? sencondly, the fan stays and cools down the engine right? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope I don't sound too stupid, but what does a radiatior do? And if I move it to the rear will it effect the performance of an engine? sencondly, the fan stays and cools down the engine right? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the water/coolant transfers heat from the motor and carries it into the radiator where the heat is then transfered out of the fluid. The fan's purpose is to suck cool air through the radiator to assist in the cooling. If you move the radiator to the rear, you will have to run electirc fans with a shroud. there will be no reason to run the fan on the front of the motor if you move the radiator.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What's a shroud? So if I move it to the back, the fan has to go with it? and then will the engine still keep cool? sorry /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

the shroud is the plastic that "funnels" the air through the radiator. Yes, if you move the radiator, and put an electric fan or two on it with a shroud, your engine will cool... assuming you also run the hoses or some pipes to run the coolant from the motor back to wherever the radiator is and then back again.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I understand now. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

BTW,the fan is only used during low vehicle speeds, when the air flow over the radiatot is not enough to cool things down, if you move the radiator in the bac, as mentioned, you will definately need fans, at all times.

Tecnically, if you drive your vehicle, and never stop, you don't even need a fan. On level ground that is, now if your pulling hills, it's still good to have the fan as it usually locks up to bring in more air when the engine gets too hot.

But for the most part, it mainly a city driving thing.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How loud are the fans? Considering they will be behind me will I noticed them, or are they really loud? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Loud enough to get annoying really fast, yes, unless your motor noise drowns them out.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

agh. but then if I keep it up front, it's possible to get mud clogging it. but if I move it to the back, I'll get p$$ed off quickly... ahhh /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

i have 2 electric fans on my radiator up front and they are loud enough to get annoying in there!

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

could always put up some kind of temporary shielding in front of the grille, to keep alot of mud out, maybe not all of it, but as long as air can still flow through the radiator using the electric fans or the engine driven fan you should be ok.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

so like mesh or something? air can get through, but mud can't.

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i really dunno, you can totally block off the front of your truck, as long as the air can be sucked in through another source, like through the sides, or under or top, like an air box, as long as the air can be pulled through the radiator, you should be able to stay cool, coming up with a setup would be up to your imagination.

just don't put anything directly mounted to the front of the rad. will definately overheat.