Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator Clean out???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Aug 11, 2000.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I bought a 4 core radiator last nite and I'm about to swap it out later on 2day. My ? is the person that had it before me used the internal transmission cooler as a oil cooler, does anyody have any recommendations as to how I should clean this out? The best way that I can think of is to spray brake cleaner through there and slap a water hose over the hole and flush it, repeating this process over a couple of times. Any suggestions?
    Before you ask, I'm going to run my trans lines through my old a/c cooler then to my radiator back to the trans. The a/c cooler is more then twice the size of my trans cooler I think this will help keep the temp down on the ol'700r4.
    So watcha think? Any ideas on the clean out?

Professional JEEP EATER, it's a population control thing

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Tried my idea with the brake cleaner, it didn't go as planned. Hey I'm open for suggestions I'll try anything at least once.

Professional JEEP EATER, it's a population control thing

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

All I can think of is to run HOT and I mean close to boiling water thru it. Then run a kitchen degreaser thru to break up any left over oil residue. Re-rinse with the HOT HOT HOT HOT water. The hot water should make the viscosity level increase to something that will flow. Repeat process till the water comes out lookng clean/clear. After that take it to a shop, have it flushed( jiffy lube might do it). Thats my .02

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I haven't seenone of these things in a while but there used to be this rig that hooked up to a drill that would pump stuff through a hose. I'd use that with Varsol-that'll clean it out. Then I'd go through the soap & HOT water mentioned earlier followed by blowing as much air through it as possible or putting it in an oven (NOT A GAS OVEN) to get all of the water out. BE CAREFUL.

Good Luck,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>