Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator cleaning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ruthven13, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Anyone know what the best way to flush out the trans passages inthe radiator is? The rad was sitting outside for quite some time and I do not want to get any crap into my trans. And don't have the $65 to pay the local rad shop to do it. I am sure there has to be another way! Thanks...

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is a product on the market called Trans Clean that comes in an aerosol can. You put it on one of your tranny lines and it flushes through the radiator and through the other tranny line.

$12 or so and well worth it. Hit your local Carquest or Napa, they'll have it.

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Thanks Tim. My buddy suggested something like that, but I couldn't find it at the store so I thought he was making it up. Now to try a different store /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

does the in-radiator tranny cooler a single tube, multipass design or just a single tube, single pass design? could it withstand compressed air for big bits o' nasty in there? or is that asking for trouble and a new radiator?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would think it could stand a blast from the air compressor, but don't hold me responsible. the stuff timmay is talking about works well, i have used it in the past.another good place to get it is a competent tranny shop.

6. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I would just get the biggest trans cooler you can find and dont use the one in the radiator. I had a eng overheat on me and it cooked the trans at the same time. You will far better off with on big a$$ trans cooler.
    IMO