Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator differences?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Sep 12, 2001.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I HAD a single core in my 84 and today was going to put in a 4 core. The prob. I ran into was that the 4 core is about an 1 and a half inches shorter height wise. I did notice that there is some other holes on the radiator support directly under the one on the top. I think that I need to use the lower holes, they look to be at the right height. So any way if you still understand, my brackets are flat to go across the radiator, did they make some L shaped to use these other holes?

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stovie
    hawglet@excite.com

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I got a radiator like this too. It is the wrong radiator. Take yours back and get another one. Messure yours first.

3. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I can only take it back to that little corner in the shop where alll of the sh^t seems to end up. It came out of my Dad's 72 Chev. when he swapped in an alum. radiator. I think I'm going to try and bend my brackets tomarrowand try and use those lower holes on the inside of the rad. support wall. What do I have to lose I can always go to the junk yard and pick up another pair!!! Do you think this may work? See and problems with it that I may be over looking?

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

4. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Greg, you can make some spacers for the bottom so that the radiator can sit on those. You can make some crude ones out of wood (with maybe some rubber wedged between them and the radiator). The radiator basically just "sits" at th bottom and is bolted at the top. This may sound crude, but it can work. Just look for ideas for a clean, durable set-up. Maybe go to the hardware store and get some ideas.

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

5. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I would just go with a piece of wood on the bottom with some rubber on it so the radiator is sitting on something soft. later on you can get something more permanent if it cools better

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a>

6. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Same problem happened to me. I put in a radiator from my 86 Chevy pickup into my 74 Blazer and it sat about 2" lower in the Blazer. I just made some drop brackets to reach the radiator and it worked fine. Plus, my rubber mounts on the bottom of the radiator were shot.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

7. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

hey thanks, I went to the junk yard and I found that GM used some other bracket for the 17" tall radiator, hopefully this will work or else I'm going to have to try you're wood idea. The bracket only cost me $10 so I'm not losing much. Thanks though.

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com