Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator dilemna.........how long with leaky one last????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2Blazer, Nov 18, 2004.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Okay, here's my situation. Right before the last trailride my radiator started leaking......it only leaks once under pressure and it's just a couple of pinholes (took me awhile to even find where it was leaking from). A dose of stop-leak stopped the leak.

My question, how long do you think the stop-leak will last??? The dilemna is that I have another big ride coming up over Thanksgiving.....the local radiator shop can get a new radiator delivered overnight, while a connection through a friend can get me the same radiator for $100 cheaper (diesel radiator is $300+) BUT I probably would not get it in time to install before leaving on the trip.

2. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

It should be ok for a while but make sure you have extra H2o on hand just in case. You could also get a lower psi radiatior cap. That stop leak stuff will put a lot of gunk into your engine. I have used pepper and cigarett tobacco and had good results.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have had good results with Aluma-Seal powder(they sell a liquid version also,but the powder has worked best for me).But your radiator should be considered untrustworthy after it develops a leak--unless you can have it soldered,any stop leak will be a crutch to get you home,and not considered permanent--but I have gone 6 months with the sealer in one truck I had! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif .The lower pressure cap is a good idea to help it live longer also.
    Hmm--I've heard of egg whites,oatmeal,pepper,and some stuff called "water glass" being used to plug leaks in radiators,but ciggarette tobacco /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif--I have a whole can of Bugler tobacco out in my shop,sitting there since I quit smoking in 2000--now I have a use for it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. azblazer69

azblazer69 Registered Member

I've had Aluma-seal last quite a while... like months... Not that I would recommend it.... But in a pinch...

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

why dont you just get it soldered? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

me and my 4 core have been through some rough times, but
    i've managed to get it fixed no problem. Just make sure they pressure test it!

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I mashed bondo in an old radiator when a stick went through it, the hole was to big to fix with leak stop stuff. Lasted 4 months until it blew somewhere else, then i bought a new one. My suggestion, carry a tub of bondo, and extra water. If it blows, cram bondo in it.