Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator fill neck leaking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Aug 11, 2006.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The radiator shop wants me to yank the radiator so they can braze it. Well i'm to damn lazy to do that. Can i use J.B. Weld or something like that? How about plumbers soilder and map gas?

2. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

JB might hold for a little while, but will crack and fall off. Get off your ass and take the four bolts out and do it right. :D

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

get a torch, some flux, and some solder from the parts store, and do it your self,,,that's all they are going to do anyways, done a few of mine in the past, no porblems. Can probably even leave it in the truck, depending on where exactly the leak is.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Yep, it's a easy solder job if it's up top. Just clean it really good and get some 50/50 solder if you can find it. It uses less heat to flow.
    Be very easy on the heat so you don't unsolder something else. Just enough to flow the solder and wipe it with flux on the brush to smooth it in and cover areas that don't want to take. BTW, drain the radiator down some helps :D