Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator fluid problem, need advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chev4life, Mar 31, 2006.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

So the k5 started overheating a couple days ago, so I pulled over and checked the fluid level....lets say ZERO, ZIP, NADA. I filled it up got it home and checked the radiator the next day....same thing...nothing was nothing...I mean nothing.
    I cant tell where it was leaking cause the rain, but can you guys give me some problem areas to look at the will cause this to limit my searching? The radiator was replaced with all new hoses about 4 years ago and I have never had this problem before.:mad::confused:
    Ideas????

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If ya don't have a visual leak.
    Head gasket leak?

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wow, if its leaking that much you should see it, raining or not. If it going in the engine check your oil......if its in a cylinder (cracked head, block) or head gasket, it should affect how the engine runs if its using that much.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Put some good ole Green Antifreeze in there and then run to the store grab a sixer...when you get home pop the hood and a 12ozer...start searching for green drops. You could have a bad waterpump and it is leaking out the peee-hole under the waterpump,,indecating the seal is blown and the pump meeds to be replace.
    OR
    Your heater core is leaking fluid into the cab or firewall area so check that too...

Good Luck
    Don't forget the Sixer:haha:

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Notice any clouds of steam out the tail pipe?

Does your engine oil look like a crap milkshake?

If there are no visible leaks, it has to be going somewhere. The crankcase and out the tailpipe are the two most likely explanations, neither of which is a happy answer.