Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator gunk?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Sep 25, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. I am really sorry this is a stupid question, but I have never seen it before so I have to ask.

I went to flush out my radiator (just as periodic maintenance) and there is all this white, pasty stuff on all the surfaces in there. It is gritty and looks kinda like plumbing putty.

I really don't think it is suppsed to be there, but I thought I would ask. And if it is bad, how do I get rid of it? I am trying the "radiator flush stuff" you put in with water and drive with for 3-6 hours, but I don't know if that's enough. Thanks as always.

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Is is floating around, or is it stuck to the metal surfaces, like around the tubes inside the radiator? - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What I meant to say is, there is normally a build up of stuff around the tubes and such, especially if you don't maintain (change) the fluid often. I don't know if it is calcium deposits, or what, but this is normal. If there is a lot of buildup, and you can't get it out, you might have to go to a radiator shop (take it off yourself, and take it to them, a whole lot cheaper), and have them rod it out (they take off the tanks and shove a rod through the tubes to get out anything clogging up the tubes). Around here it is about $40.00 to have them rod it out, and they will also tell you what kind of condition it is in. Just make sure that it is a reputible shop, so they will tell you the truth, my cousin used to work at a radiator shop, so I know. (About the shops) - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

It's a build-up around the tubes. Looking into the radiator, every ledge is filled with this stuff. I can probably assume its calcium deposits since it's extremely hard to tell when the previous owner changed the coolant.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I believe the gunk you're talking about are hard water deposits. We have hard water up here and I had the same thing happen to me. You can try using a rad-flush additive to break it down and then change out the coolant. I heard that if you use distilled water instead of tap water it will eliminate this problem.

6. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks Paul. We have hard water here too. I will see if what I used works. Otherwise I will take it to a rad shop and get it cleaned.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Distilled water will eliminate the majority of sediment problems-no minerals to come out of solution. If the deposits are white and powdery-looking, it could also be aluminum corroding. Aluminum produces white powdery deposits when it corrodes. Either way, a good flush of the whole system and a radiator cleaning should clear up any problems.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!