Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator Hoses For Diesel to Gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k10sub, Apr 19, 2003.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

I did some searches on this and looked at Favorites I have. Dorian made a reference to the diesel radiators having both small and large connections. Russ says he had to use two hoses and splice with a 9" length of pipe and Pete used the upper hose for a '72 Firebird 400.
    Apparently my radiator has the large connections. Both upper and lower measure about 1.8" while the water pump and thermostat housing on the donor engine ('73 350) measure 1.8" and 1.5". The lower hose for the gas engine is too small to fit the radiator and the lower hose for the diesel is too large to fit the pump.
    Nothing I've tried, 350 gas, 454 gas, diesel, or the Firebird fits the upper. I think I can come up with a splice solution for the upper but the lower hose as me stumped. I would really like to retain the diesel radiatior for the extra capacity.
    Anybody out there got any suggestions?

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I searched tirelessly when I swapped to a 350. Never did find anything (didn't want two pieces of hose for reliability sake)

Looking back, what I would do is go to a radiator shop and see if they can put smaller necks on. Can't imagine it costing too much.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Looks like you've already found everything I could offer. Swapping necks is an option. I eventually found a deal on a gas radiator built for superior cooling and no longer run the spliced hose. Main reason I switched was that I couldn't find the blasted shroud and the custom radiator/shroud was cheaper than buying the shroud new. Also, the narrow radiator allows me to cut more out of the front for clearance... Sorry I can't be more help...

4. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys. I may just go back with the gas radiator since I still have it. I will check on the neck replacement first though.

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Since you already have a great radiator, why change it? I went to the local part store & got a stock lower. Then matched it up to an off the shelf hose that had the correct size ends. I do not know the number, but about 10 minutes research in the hose aisle got me a nice match. As far as a top hose, I could not find a match. I used a piece of copper water pipe (muffler tubing will also work) & found 2 short bent hose sections that matched the outlet sizes. Many front wheel drive cars have short hoses that reduce in size. Do not worry about splicing. Mine has been this way since '87. The big trucks come with metal sections in the hoses from the factory & most see 100k mi. per year.

6. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Since you already have a great radiator, why change it? I went to the local part store & got a stock lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am half way there! I found a hose at NAPA yesterday; their part number 8539. I trimmed about 3" off because the length was causing some kink. The young lady could not tell me what it is supposed to fit because she did not have any way to look it up.
    Now to find a solution for the upper. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif