Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator in the back of the buggy

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by txbluethunder, Feb 23, 2004.

1. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

starting to tube up whats left of the truck and am planning on running my radiator in the back of the rig. Anyone done this? I was planning on getting some exhaust tubing to run the coolant through and i've already got electric fans to run on it. Any thoughts, pics, or part numbers?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was planning the samething, I have my radiator but nothing else yet. The one thing is there will have to be some rubber hosing in there, what for the motor movement and connecting and disconnecting the radiator.
    [​IMG]
    Hosing like that is what I want, no idea where to get it. My radiator is a 19x31" 2 core Aluminum unit by Howes. Got it from Summit for $200 and change.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I had plans to mount the radiator in the rear.... But it didn't work out that way /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. After installing the fuel cell and back seats, I just ran outta room /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.
    [​IMG]
    But, I was planning to use "copper tubing". Seems I had found some @ mcmaster.com that was close to the size of fitting inside a radiator hose. The added heat x-fer from the long copper tubes would really help the cooling capability.

Marv

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Hum /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif copper would be interesting. Up to 2" tubing may be needed but it bends pretty good and is relatively light. The best part is I can get it for free. Just use rubber out of the pump, water neck, and radiator. Measure the ID of the rubber hose and I will see what I can do to match up the size. I usually work with 1",1 1/2", and 2" so hopefully one of those sizes will work.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Only worry I have about that all is simply this, copper, aluminum, and steel all stewing in the same liquids. You hear of problems with aluminum and steel then throw another metal in there.

6. txbluethunder

i'm not that worried...it's a trail only vehicle, whats the worst that can happen? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

EXPLOSIONS AND FIRE AND DEATH

You could always run PVC with flex on the end, hahahaha

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mines trail only as well, worst that could happen is my pipes, $200 radiator, and block either corrode or get gunked up and I overheat or lose coolant. Doesn't matter if its trail only if you are stuck miles into a trail and can't drive out.

9. txbluethunder

so what we're saying is that the steel block i'm running with aluminum thermostat neck and the copper radiator is bad for my engine. isn't that the same as stock?

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Its not a problem stock but the issue shows up when you have two long lenghts of copper running along the vehicle. When the water pump is running, it causes cavitation in the glycol ( the stuff in antifreeze ). This aireated liquided traveling through the long copper pipes will build up a charge due to friction of the pipe walls. The rubber tires will insulate you from the ground but you will get some charge disipation through the air but not enough. When you drive down the trail, you are actually driving a large paowerfull Van De Graph generator capable of building up hundereds of thousands of volts (potential). The only real avenue of discharge is close or direct contact with either another person or vehicle or when you or your loved ones exit the vehicle, causing a huge lightening like discharge killing all around and blowing up the vehicle involved. Worse if you stopped off at the gas station.

Please try to do deeper research on these issues. Violent explosions on the trail killing dozens of people will only feed the argument to close our public lands. Thank you.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

12. txbluethunder

now that's an explanation. thanks sandman. now, since you seem to have the knowledge on these subjects, what would you suggest to use? aluminum, steel, ?

13. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man that sounds far fetched. Has it ever happened?

14. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

So bolt a ground strap to the frame. All you'd need to drain potential is a single strand of copper phone line. For higher zoot, run a piece of 4/0 copper with an aluminum lug on the end. You'll instantaneously be at the same potential as ground.

If you beleive that Dan, then anybody with any kind of fan on their vehicles had better run ground straps too, since air rushing past metal tends to create a charge as well.

15. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Your fawkin rig is not going to blow up if you put the radiator in the back. Just because you put a radiator in the back doesn't mean they are going to close Moab or anything.

The main concern I have seen with rear mounted radiators is that they are hard to cool at higher speeds, such as highway driving. Needs a high volume/high speed fan like a Tauras fan, Black Magic, etc. The hoses shown in the picture above are avalable at any auto parts store in the nation. The are just flexible radiator hose. They range in cost from $25-50. For tubing material to get the coolant from that back of the vehicle to the motor, I have used both mild steel tubing and aluminized exhaust tubing. I never saw any kind of corrosion from either. I also didn't install them in vehicles and plan to daily drive it for the next ten years either. What ever you use will get really hot after a while. I think using copper would be a waste of time and money if you had to pay for it. Just go to Home Depot and get some 10' sticks of conduit and be done with it.

16. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I hope nobody actually bought that one. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. txbluethunder

well this rig is only driven on the trail...and at that i've got two 15" black magic fans. i'm still thinking aluminized exhaust pipe. thanks for the info.

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I was thinking to myself: you've got to have some bad luck to be killed by some rear-mounted radiator charges....

19. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I used aluminized 1.5" exhaust pipe on mine and it has worked out great the past year or so. I have a pair of fans from some junk'd mid 90's dodge car. I had a thermostat running the fans for a while, but it crapped out, so I just wired in a relay that turns them on when the key is on. The battery is in the back between the frame rails and under the radiator, so the raly was pretyy easy to wire up. Since the fans are easily accesible from the side of the truck, I sometimes unplug 1 of the fans just because it doesnt need it on the trail. But like was mentioned earlier, w/o both of my fans on, it does get hot at hiway speeds.

HTH........

Rob

20. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Funny,,,,I posted this same exact question in the garage and got no reply's,,,,,,thanks for the info,,,I like the theory about the electrical charge though,,,,BTW I work in the refrigeration biz,,
    copper tubing is availible up to 4 1/8". I don't think the cost is justified though.2 1/8" ACR(hard drawn) is about 2.00 per foot.
    I think when I do mine I may just use exhaust tubing or EPDM hose.