Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

RADIATOR.....is this a good one

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

My radiator in my 78 is shot and im looking for a new one and Living in AZ i dont want to have any heat problems at all. I found this one at www.carparts.com and i was wondering if this is a good one or not? here is what carparts.com has to say......

MODINE Description : RADIATOR-HD
    COOL ,# per car : 1,Year :
    76-79,Notes : W/MT & AC;
    W/4 Row Core

now i have ac and a manual tranny with the np205 will this work and i should not have any heating problems?

thanks

2. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

That radiator should be fine, but I would also look into the GDI radiator offered from AutoZone. I don't have the part number handy, but I will find it out for you. It is a 4-core, lifetime warranty radiator, that is stock in 1986 1-ton's with 454's for $145.00. It also has provisions for an automatic transmission cooler, but you won't need that. You will need to get a new upper radiator support from GM (it's like $15.00) I am going to do a write up for Steve using this radiator and dual electric fans in an 1989 TBI 350 Blazer.

If you have any questions e-mail me dKennedy@student.umass.edu

David 1989K5

3. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Hey Josh, how much did carparts.com want for it? (Then there is shipping on top of that...) And how many cores are in your existing one?

To answer your question a 4 core is certainly enough. In fact I don't think they go higher than that do they? I have A/C, and auto-tranny, in my 88K5 and I replaced mine with the same 3 core I took out. I've run it in bumper to bumper with the a/c on over this past weekend (what was it like 95 out?) and it didn't budge past normal. Got mine at Auto-Zona (Gilbert rd) for $150 with no core deposit. They had a bunch of choices too, but I knew the 3 core would fit with no problems. Plug and play...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

4. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Yeah steve,

The price is like $173 and i have a coupon for 1/3% off so it come to like 117 and then shipping is 10% of the price. Now I called carparts to ask the shipping and he said i would need a new fan shroud for this radiator. Do you or anyone else know were i can get one and what one i should look for at a junk yard? If i get this radiator do i need that 15.00 raditor support from GM or will the stock one fit but i just need the shroud? thanks alot!

5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

When I was looking at the 4 core, I was told that the stock support will just not fit over the wider 4 core radiator and I would need a wider support. I can't imagine why the stock shroud wouldn't fit, unless it's that much closer to the belts perhaps, or it doesn't bolt to the wider support. But I'm not the expert here, maybe someone else can comment...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

6. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I'm afraid I can't speak to fit of this 4 core rad. But, even though your in AZ, don't forget that the engine needs to be hot enough to complete the combustion cycle. Don't forget, alot of engineering went into this engine stuff at some point in time and even took AZ weather into consideration. I've heard this from some pretty reputable people. Before you start R&Ring the rad. support, I'd get an engineering type opinion. Just my .02 worth.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

7. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

What is wrong with the old radiator? I had a small leak in mine and it was about 60% clogged, I found a radiator shop in Tucson and had them clean it out and fix the leak for about $65. It now works like a champ, even under heavy load it never gets above 185deg and cost about half as much as a replacment.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

8. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Yeah i went to go get it done but they said it was to far gone but could rebuild it for $160. So now would be the best time to either upgrade or get a new one.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I just put a Modine in My Supra. This car is know for being very tempermental about cooling. I am EXTREMELY happy with the quality and fit of this radiator. Modine in my book makes a very good quality product. You should be happy with that one.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

10. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

i've got a '79 radiator sitting around that was originaly out of a manual K5 (350, SM465, 205). you need it and i'll let it go for almost nothing.