Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by teufel_hunden25, Jun 17, 2001.

1. teufel_hunden25

teufel_hunden25 Registered Member

I recently filled the fluid resivoir for the radiator in my 77 Blazer to the top, way more than what the cold line suggests to be in there. After driving it for about five minutes I found a pin hole leak toward the top driver's side of the radiator. What kind of quick fix can I use to make this radiator work for a few days. I need to make a 2 hour trip with it on Tuesday to get the VIN plates straightened out. (Someone replaced the original VIN plate before I bought it and they will not give me tags for it until I get it straightened out.) I have to make this trip tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Use epoxy. the nipple that the tube goes on to for the over flow can is broken off. I epoxied it on there over a year ago and it does not leak. Just gotta be careful not to hit it or I will break it off. I used the epoxy that is two parts and you gotta mix it. should get you by for now and a long time to come. Hope it helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bens87toy.colorasok5.com>http://www.bens87toy.colorasok5.com</A>

3. teufel_hunden25

Epoxy will help the wall of the radiator??

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I guessing it will if it is only a pin hole. my whole nipple was broken off and it is still holding strong now. try it, and especially if it is only a temp. fix.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

5. teufel_hunden25

Thanks a lot. Sounds like it will work fine to me. I can't wait to get everything straightened out and put my rig on the road legally. Then I will be able to start making the big mods!!!!

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I noticed that you are 17 too. Where you from? I'm in Maine. Just wondering.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

7. teufel_hunden25

I'll be in Maryland for the next 27 days, after that I'll be property of the Marine Corps.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

jb welld will work better. epoxy will work well too. they make a "special" radiator epoxy also. this sometimes had a bit of metal in it. kinda like JB weld. ethier way, a pin hole can be sealed by both.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have used "Alumaseal" before with good results. It is a power that you pour into the radiator. Works well on places that you could not get at as well (like heater core).

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ive had good luck with Alumaseal also.It will fill pin holes all the way up to a hole you could put yer pinky finger in if ya use enough tubes:)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>