Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator leak ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, May 12, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

I have a small radiator leak that is really not a big problem and doesnt leak very much. Although when I turn on the A/C and run it for awhile it leaks even more. Why is this? I plan on changing out the radiator next week so the problem will be solved just wondering why the A/C would cause it to leak more. ? for all you AZ guys..... What kind of coolant/water mixer do you use during the summer.... 70/30? 50/50? 60/40? ect...

2. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

My guess would be that when you turn the A/C on, the haet from the condenser is transferring over to the radiator and making it hotter, thus causing the presure to go up and the leak to get bigger. I am from indiana, and I run a 60/40 coolant/water mix.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Once again, Redline Water Wetter. IT WORKS!! Pep Girls and others have it. Search the posts for "water wetter" for more info.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

4. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Jarhead knows a good product when he sees one! The stuff works, and yes also as posted the increase in heat will raise your coolant pressure until it reaches the caps pressure rating, which would explain your leak.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

5. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

40 Below and Water Wetter

Ken, I have no personal experiences with these two products but I've been interested in them for some time. I found quite a bit of talk on auto performance boards about "30 and 40 Below" and "Water Wetter," both good and bad comments. The good reports are that they do reduce temperatures. The bad news is some users have found massive deterioration to the water passages in the aluminum intake manifold and are convinced that these products ate away at the aluminum much faster than a distilled water and regular anti-freeze mixture.

One hot rodder posted the following regarding his experience with Water Wetter: "I don't know if any of you have ever come across this situation before but I thought I should share the information I received from the technicians at Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation regarding my recent experience with their Water Wetter product. It seems that if the PH of your coolant mix is too low the silicates in their product can come out of solution. In my case this manifested itself in the form of pea sized gelatinous globules forming in the coolant mix. These globules eventually float to the surface forming a thick scum. Fortunately, as I pre mix my coolant solution, this did not occur within the radiator. I can only imagine that flushing the gelatinous scum out of the cooling system would be quite a tedious chore, to say the least. The technicians at Redline suggested that the 50/50 mix is what caused the PH to drop too low and that using a lower percentage of anti-freeze and the minimum amount of Water Wetter in the mix should alleviate the problem. FYI, changing the concentration of the mix in an effoert to adjust the PH after the fact DID NOT bring the silicates back into solution. Rather than experiment with varying solutions I have opted to avoid the problem altogether by simply not using the Water Wetter product."

6. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Re: 40 Below and Water Wetter

Interesting, that may be very true. I know from personal experience the Redline WW has caused no corrosion of buildup. It is actually suppost to be anti-corrosive. In my race motor I run the WW and straight tap water, the most efficent mixture you could have. Of course that is at the strip.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Re: 40 Below and Water Wetter

Interesting...

I've never had a problem with the stuff in 2 years, even in the wife's car (all-aluminum motor). That's why I always recommend it. But, I'm always willing to hear other opinions. I always pre-mix my coolant 50-50, and if I'm adding the WW (summer), I mix it in too. I'll have to keep an eye out for this phenomenon.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...