Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator mounts

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by crwln73, Dec 12, 2003.

1. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

I need some ideas on how to mount my radiator now that the front clip is gone including the lower radiator mounts.Heres some pics

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Clicky no worky /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I originaly made a cage fr my radiator, then just tie it to your fire wall via a couple of tubes, if ya get real creative you can tie the whole mess into your roll cage, I have been thinking about this ALOT /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I originaly made a cage fr my radiator, then just tie it to your fire wall via a couple of tubes, if ya get real creative you can tie the whole mess into your roll cage, I have been thinking about this ALOT /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah this is all I did - Im gonna try and get the radiator mounted today. I ll probably use some channel with thin rubber to support the radiator top and bottom and bolt the top ones down to tabs on the hoop.

5. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah this is all I did - Im gonna try and get the radiator mounted today. I ll probably use some channel with thin rubber to support the radiator top and bottom and bolt the top ones down to tabs on the hoop.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I ended up doing just that.Except I had to use a piece of 2x4x.095 and cut the top out of it.The 4in channel was tapered on the inside, so the radiator wouldnt sit all the way down in it.Just used the factory rubber on the bottom it fit perfect into the tubing.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've been using rubber window shims to insulate/isolate my radiators, apparently it works pretty good. We haven't broken a radiator yet. We try to stack the rubber to where it supports the radiator over a large area and where it's got some structure to it (near the tanks). It sits in a full channel or a pair of short channels. Then the top gets a clamp system similar to the factor setup with similar rubber isolation.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    rubber window shims

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, not sure what that is...

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    rubber window shims

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm, not sure what that is...

[/ QUOTE ]
    You know, shims that go under rubber windows...

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Man you guys are out of it, haven't you heard of the new rubber windows, it's all the rage on....

Oh wait, you can't have a rubber window! How would you see?

Our shop is next to a glass shop that sets a lot of custom windows. They use hard rubber shims under them to isolate the glass from the house and they come in 1/4 and 1/8" thickness. They usually have big boxes of them sitting around so that's what we use. I don't know any other place to get them, maybe a good hardware store or a home depot type store?