Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator/oil cooler leak need some help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, May 12, 2006.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hey all, The oil cooler fitting at the top of the radiator is broken and the previous owner said he soldered it and covered it with rtv? anyway it leaks a ton. A new radiator is 400 buck:eek1:. I have decide to go with an aftermarket oil cooler from permacool unless you all can recommend something better.
    I was wondering which size to go with. and which would be the best way to mount it. I have no external coolers of anykind but it looks like the radiator support is already setup for external coolers. This is going on a 89 crewcab 4x4 with a 6.5l TD and a turbo 400. some pics of the fitting and the engine

dogs and stuff 023.jpg

dogs and stuff 024.jpg

2. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

anyone?

3. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

Isn't it true radiators.com has really good deals? Personally I just wouldn't mess with that.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what I'd do...

I'd just buy an aftermarket oil cooler and plumb it up,and forget the OEM one in the radiator..my 6.2 has oil cooler lines that are all flaky with rust,and will pop pretty soon..I think I'll just get an external oil cooler,if its costly to have new hoses and lines made up(not sure if you can still get factory ones for it,and they are poor quality anyhow)..they list oil coolers by horsepower ratings in the Jegs book..my truck only makes 145 HP,so I dont think I'll need a very big one..

Many diesel trucks in a local cranberry bog owners fleet have had the oil coolers by-passed when they leaked,and he has yet to see any damge to the trucks,and he works them pretty hard..not saying its OK to do it,but from what I've seen his trucks haul,I'd guess 90% of us street driven diesels that dont tow or carry heavy weight would even notice the difference if it were not connected!..he does change the oil religiously on all the trucks though..

Maybe you could clean that ugly soldering job up good with brake cleaner,and smother the whole mess with J-B Weld..it might seal the leak long enough to get you buy until you can buy an external cooler or new radiator...:crazy: