Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator opinions - going 4 headlight front clip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m j, Oct 30, 2004.

1. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

diesel rad $440cdn
    [​IMG]

heavy 350 rad $250cdn
    [​IMG]

bigblock rad $250cdn
    [​IMG]

which one to use?
    Propane small block with a turbo planned once the supporting pieces are in place.
    I am thinking about the Windstar fans as well.
    I have never had an overheating problem with the 4 core small block rad that couldn't be blamed on a bodylift and hacked shroud.
    I am leaning towards the diesel rad with built in engine oil cooler because it is the biggest and the engine oil cooling seems like a very good thing to me.
    if that was offered in a standard width I would take it.
    I might have to play with rad hoses a bit to fit the big one to clear my van compressor.
    did vans get a big rad and a 6.2?

so which is the best choice?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The diesel rad does take up almost all the available room between the battery's in my truck...

Have you priced any of this out at www.radiators.com ?

Rene

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

The listed prices are my cost at Lordco

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I will never buy anything but an aluminum radiator ever again. They can be had for 150 or so plus shipping. Lighter and far surpass the cooling capacity of any 4 core factory replacement out there. Just my opinion.

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will never buy anything but an aluminum radiator ever again. They can be had for 150 or so plus shipping. Lighter and far surpass the cooling capacity of any 4 core factory replacement out there. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking the same thing. I would look at 88-up fullsize radiators and see what will fit. I used a 4.3L V6 radiator (with oil cooler) in my S10, and it seems to keep the LT1 cool with a Taurus fan on low, and it weighs only like 10 lbs.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My opinion is that wider is better than thicker, so I would vote diesel radiator.

I had to use two hoses on the top to connect the radiator to the 350 I swapped in. The two problems are the length and the size of the radiator inlet/outlet diameter versus the 350 inlet/outlet diameters.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

weird thing on the diesel rad is that the core width exceeds the opening in the rad support by about 6".

on the advice in this thread I started going through the catalogue for newer models and there is a 350 rad with built in engine oil cooler
    http://webbase.transpro.com/radcat/

this one is more spendy then the larger diesel $454.02cdn
    [​IMG]

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Where can I get an aluminum radiator that bolts in the same way as a stock gasser radiator? Can I get them without oil or trans coolers to save money?

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the oil coolers about double the pricing.

10. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yea, I figured that. I am going to be installing this on my trail rig that is going to have a tube front end, so I would like to keep the weight down, but still keep the 6.2 cool. I have a manual trans and I am going to run an external oil cooler, so no need for that stuff in the replacement radiator.

11. cybrfire

You'll have to do some surfing around on the internet. When you do a search for aluminum radiator the big names will come up and they are way to expensive. They are out there though. Forget JEG's or Summit. Sorry, I don't have any links but I've found them on a couple occassions so I never saved a link. If I remember correctly they were same size as Chevy core so should bolt in the same for 159.99. Two core aluminumm, 1" core tubes and welded aluminum tanks. Just like what the bigger manufacturers sell at a fraction of the cost.

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

have you purchased from any of these places?

the tranny cooler in the rad is not at all pricey, no difference IIRC, but the engine oil cooler is $$$
    I would not rely on tranny cooling with just a typical add on style cooler.

13. cybrfire

my brother bought a mini tork starter from one of them. That was how I originally found the radiators. Place that catered to stock car racers if I remember correctly. He ordered the starter and it was delivered the next day. FAST. as far as coolers in the tanks, I have had better luck keeping a tranny cool by bypassing the factory cooler all together. I used a AC condenser for my tranny. Upped the capacity by a couple quarts and you just aint gona find a tranny cooler any bigger then one of them suckers. Plus factory mounting is there. Don't forget to use trans flush if you go this route for whom ever may be reading this. That's just what I did and of course won't work for everybody especiallly if you use your AC condenser for AC. Basically I dropped the trans temp by 20-30 deg. by avoiding the radiator all together. Some have luck going through the rad before or after an external cooler. I wasn't so lucky.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

15. cybrfire

Looks like your finding some. Didn't specifically say they are two row core. One said something about they can be double passed. From what I know of an aluminum radiator you definitely want two core tubes of 1" size at least. Didn't know they made bigger tubes in them than that. I'm not sure what the effect of larger tubes would be. Obviously larger capacity but that also translates into more fluid to cool. Larger surface area on the tube so who knows if its a direct correlation or not. Maybe worth calling a tech and finding out. Flow is greater in the tubes but is a moot point. Your hoses will still only flow so much and the system is timed by the thermostat anyway. I sure do like the looks of the squared off tanks better than the bumpy factory looking ones.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the one I would buy is $309usd plus shipping, plus UPS rip off brokerage fees, plus 14.5% taxes
    wonder how close that would end up being to the $440cdn diesel rad
    I like the aluminum as for me it is easier to find a good aluminum welder to modify it to my wants then it is to find a brass rad guy that I trust

lumpy tank = stronger tank

17. cybrfire

Never thought about the structural integrity of the tank. I guess if you mount them via the tanks that may be a factor to consider. Friend of mine modified an aluminum rad as well. It was too tall so he cut the tanks short and hit between tubes. Basically recap the tank ends and good to go. My application, if I ever have to modify the rad its because I was trying to be clairvoyant and do the mounts before I had the rad on hand.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

standard chev mounting uses the edge of the tanks
    the aluminums probably use heavier wall, who the **** knows /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am trying to see if the price is near a wash between the 2, it looks real close but shipping and UPS fees are an unknown.
    so glad your dollar is doing poorly when I want to buy stuff

19. cybrfire

yeah it does use the tank edges doesn't it. Brain FART. Don't know what i was thinking. I think it sucks that our dollar isn't doing so good.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you do not have to worry about it,
    all your trading partners are doing everything they can to devalue their currency to take advantage of the American phenom ego that increases trade when your dollar is above 1.00