Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator overflow tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Sep 4, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The front of my truggy is now about the same width as the radiator. And there are no inner fenders. Just the frame rail and the cage bar beside the hood. Not much room for an overflow tank. I need one that is about 2-2.5" diameter, maybe 10-14" tall. Basically tall and slim. I'll probably just build one, but are there any OEM or aftermarkets that will work?

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

This sounds like a job for plumber man...dun dun da!

Get yourself a piece of 2" CPVC pipe the length you need. It is designed to handle hot liquid. Cap both ends, drill holes in the top end to mount fittings and whammo you have a rad puke tank made to order.

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Summit i'm pretty sure they have small ones like that

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i second what gravdgr said. i've had that setup in my blaze for about 4-5 years. never had any problems with it. I'll see if i can post a pic tonight.

ARQ.

5. BadDog

But what about the *BLING*, you guys know I'm all about the bling! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I had thought about the PVC, but was concerned about it breaking with the vibration. While I was out running erands, I started thinking about copper. I wonder if I could find a piece of, say, 2.5" copper with copper caps and solder them together. Then add a tube run from top to the bottom for the hose, and a double elbow for overflow, and that should work nicely. Question is, can you find 2.5" x 12" copper stubs and caps... and if so, where...

6. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i second what gravdgr said. i've had that setup in my blaze for about 4-5 years. never had any problems with it. I'll see if i can post a pic tonight.
    ARQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second what ARQ said/has.. I saw it last night and now I'm building myself one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

summit search for part number SUM-300101. looks like it may fit the bill, its $40.

8. BadDog

Hmmm, how would that work? No vent...

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

you know i didnt even notice it wasnt vented, but apparently it must work because summit only has 2 that are vented, pn's STF-5110 and STF-5115, are the ones that are vented. heres all the overflow tanks.

10. BadDog

Yeah, I saw those. Not crazy about them though. I'm thinking it must be for a sealed system. Easy enough though to epoxy an open vent/overflow on the back side I guess. I also wonder if the tube goes to the bottom in that thing, assuming it is for a closed system it might not work right. Hmmm...

11. BadDog

Ok, just called summit. Those are *just* catch cans, no recirc. They have those too, but much higher. However, these are threaded on both ends with standard NPT bungs. Sooooo, put the nipple on the bottom for the radiator line, another nipple on top with an elbow to direct hot water down, and you have a nice system for cheap... Too bad it's back ordered. I generally prefer to make all my own stuff, but I'm running out of time and this might be a good way to go.

Plus... IT'S GOT THE *BLING*! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Putting that on my junk is kinda like putting chrome shocks on a clapped out dump truck...