Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radiator overflow

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, Feb 10, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

within seconds of start the radiator starts filling the overflow. i just got a new radiator cap, 16 lbs on a diesel radiator that is attached to a 350 engine. after a while it stops overflowing and when it cools off it sucks fluid back in. my question is, isnt the overflow not suposed to fill unless your overheating. and how can i be overheating seconds after start up? could it be my fluid has been watered down too much? it still is green, just not solid thick green.

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

When the cooling system pressurizes (warms up), The fluid expands, the spring in the cap compresses, and the radiator gets full and lets the fluid go into the overflow. When it cools, the radiator sucks back in all the coolant. It should do it everytime the cooling system gets pressurized.

3. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

yeah i got that part but i didnt ralize the fluid could expand so quickly, its overflowing seconds after start up. it is also filled to the top.