Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radiator question and pep boys engines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Feb 9, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Okay, I've got two questions. First of all, My cooling system keeps dumping extra coolant into the overflow bottle and never sucking any back out. Isn't it supposed to take coolant back out when it looses some? I just put on a new cap when I flushed it before I put in my new engine. It was a rather cheap cap, and I don't know if that has anything to do woth it. It occaisionally has a small leak from somewhere around the radiator, but never overheats. Runs around 190. I haven't figured out where the leak is, and it doesn't leak all the time, so I've just kept an eye on it.

My second question is about a pep boys reman. engine. I'm putting an engine in a friend's truck to repay him for rebuilding my trans. He doesn't want to spend quite as much as I did for my GM engine. Anyone put in one from Pep Boys? They have a decent waranty, and the price is fairly low.

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah that sounds like a bad cap.....could be small stuff blockin tube, that happened to me once..just stuff to check out. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif http://bigboytoys.com and www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I am running a pepgirls remanned 350 in my c-10....got about 55,000 on it, not a complaint still running like a top....

4. georgiared84

I'm going to pick up a little bit better cap and see if that helps. I also put in a really cheap thermostat that doesn't work nearly as smoothly as the other one I put in so I'll probably change that out too. I'm still trying to find out if the leak is from a hose, or the radiator. I'll probably just pull it this summer and get it checked out.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well it's normal for the cooling system to puge some coolant every time you get it up to full temp. The hose from the fill neck has to be sealed and the end reach all the way to the bottom of the over flow tank. If it has any leaks it will suck air back into the system.
    Marietta Radiator has good prices when your ready to get a new one but weird on the wat they want payment.

6. georgiared84

You don't have to give them a first born do you? I'd rather not part with her, she just learned how to use the impact wrench. (She thinks it's the neatest thing since fishing) What kind of payment do they want? I haven't decided if I want to get this one boiled and plugged or just get a new one. The engine's new, so I don't want to take any chances with the radiator going out on a long trip in the middle of nowhere.

7. georgiared84

Anyone else have an opinion on pep boys and their engines?

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well you would buy from their distribution office. CASH only. they are not set up to do credit cards and stuff. They are the southeast distributor for Modine.