Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Jun 20, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If I go buy a 6.2L diesel radiator for my truck, will it bolt right up or do I nee different radiator supports?
    Also, what does the condensor that sits in front of the radiator bolt to? The radiator or the core support?
    -- Mike

2. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

the condensor bolts to the radiator supprt. my 82 bolted to the support at the top and the bottom, now i have an 85 support and it sits in bushings on top and bottom but i only put it in the bottom bushings and bolted to the support at the top. The rubber bushings that the radiator sits on are different ona diesel but from GM they are about 3 bucks a piece. Also one thing is that your trans lines that normally go in on the passengers side on a gas will go into a diesel radiator on the drivers side. hope this helps, if you got any more questions just post them. i just got done doing all this stuff in my frame swap so it is all fresh in my mind.
    sergio

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Desiel radiators are huge. They span just about all the way across the front clip. Get a measurement of the total length of the one you intend to buy and see if it will get in the way of any existing stuff you have. Also you are going to need to fab. a new shroud or buy the one it came with in the donor vehicle.

4. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I run the large rad on both of my trucks. You need to use new GM rubber mounts and the upper two brackets. GM did a gas version of this rad that has the trans lines on the same side as your current set up. The rad sits in the factory slots. The right hand side slot is the same one that your rad sits in now. The left hand slot is the one on the far left just outside of where the frame is. The rad will clear all factory accesories. You can use your lower rad hose but you need a new upper hose. I use a hose from an '89 1 ton 'V' series truck with a fuel injected 454 to work with my BBC. You can use the fan shroud from this same vehicle for yours. The factory fan is a 5 blade 21" monster. I also used a 1.5" hole saw to add some additional flow through the core support in a few places on the far left side. I used an '89 core support as a template for this. This setup keeps my BB cool when towing 8500lbs over the mountain passes in Colorado.