Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Radiator Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 3 on the tree, Apr 27, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I was just given a 4 core out of a 67 3/4 ton. The length is the same as the 1 core my Blazer came with. Will the 4 core bolt in using the same cradles as my original radiator? Anybody need some uncut steel door panels? He is giving away body and cab pieces, but the cab is a rustbucket. The glovebox lid is good also. I scored a OE console out of it that's going in my rig. Does anyone know if the 67-68 3/4 tons used a divorced T case and what 4 speed it came with? This guy is keeping the frame and running gear to mount his cherry 66 longbed on, but the donor truck has 20 emblems on it, and 1/2 ton axles with a real ghetto lift in back.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

To get the 4core to fit you need the longer top retainer pieces, whatever they are called...I got mine from www.chevyduty.com I can't remember if I had to mess with the bottom..I think I did...too long ago...check the parts list for 3 cor and 4cor and compare to see if different..

I think a SM420 was used before the 465 and maybe a dana 20 T case...but my memeory is toast so I am just guessing...
    Good Luck
    Burt

3. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I swapped out my 2-core for a 4-core when I put in my big block. So I ordered new top and bottom retainers. I also ordered the new rubber inserts for the retainers. When I went to put them on, I compared the new retainers to the old retainers and they were exactly the same! The only difference was the new rubber inserts were made for the 4-core. So I just pulled the old rubber out of the old retainers and popped in the new rubber. I only did this because my old retainers were already painted and the new ones were bare metal.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

2core? My 72 came with a 3core....and now that you said that I remember getting new ruber too top and bottom...I know I had to put the longer ones up top...strange you didn't need too also??

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

well you dont only have the issue of the cushions an brackets needing ot be larger for a 4 core- but in 72 and older the bottom radiator hose neck is curve upwards a bit and so you woul dbe best o have it straightened at your local radiator shop for real cheap they will solder a regular straight one on

whether it is the right size to fit youll have to determine yourself with a tape measure

both measurements needed are taken at the tank seams

overall height and distance from seam to seam for the width

there were a couple different heights and widths put into 67-87 trucks

17, 19, 21 heights

27, 29, 31 widths

where you mount the brackets and place the cushions and which brackets you use is what matters and can make or break a radiator swap

most were 3 core and most were 19x27

but you just never know

and the 420 trans ended in 67

465 started in 68

it really bothers me that ppl cant remember this, and that they think otherwise, often

its real baisc and simple, i dont understand where the difficulty is in remembering two years and two trannies

good luck

6. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Sorry Burt, you're correct. Mine was a 3-core.
    Do you have the old retainers? If so compare them. I'd be interested to know if yours are the same size also.

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    When I went 4 core I ordered the brackets (top and bottom) from LMC. same style just wider to fit the difference in thickness or depth of the 4 core.

LMC look up part # 32-0962, 0965 (upper retainer) 32-0964 or 0960 (Lower retainer) and 32-0950 or 0955 (support pad)

www.lmctruck.com

Looks like the retainers are 9.95 a piece for upper and 7.95 a piece for lower. The support pads are 4.95 a piece.

8. 3 on the tree

My Blazer is a 1st Gen, so the lower neck stays as is. This new sradiator is 2" wider than the OE one, and its tanks are just under 4" thick. The correct mounting holes are already on the bulkhead, just have to move the pass side over one set of holes. Guess I will go back and see if the mounting brackets are still with the rest of the truck.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

egh no worries :D
    No I didn't keep the old ones..this was a couple years ago that is why I can't recall exactly what I did to make the 4core fit...:confused: But it did fit :D
    Have a GREAT week everyone
    Burt

10. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

I had to order the 4-row brackets and rubbers for mine when I swapped out my plugged OEM 2-row rad. Bought mine from LMC. The 4-row tanks are much deeper than the 2-row tanks. Had to notch the lower crossmember with a dremel to fit the deeper bottom brackets as well.

11. 3 on the tree

Thanks for all the info all. I talked toa friend who is a GM trained and certified mechanic. He says I will NEVER get my 250 up to operating temp with a 4 core in it. Guess it will become a wall decoration when I get my shop built.

12. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my 307 runs a bit cold now (and sucks gas worse), but the new rad was essential (old one plugged up) and this is just a stop-gap until a nice healthy 350 goes under the hood.

For your 250 it is way overkill though.