Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

radiator question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Jan 26, 2003.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

been awhile since last post. have been having no heat during last week or so and the temp gauge has been reading about 165or so.changed the thermostat and got heat but noticed that the radiator is hot on the upper hose side and cold on the lower hose side what gives?

2. 89 k5 blazer

89 k5 blazer Registered Member

the radator may be blocked up by something. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the radiator is doing it's job.

Smitty

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, maybe your radiator is colling a little TOO well... The coolant enters from the top hose and exits the bottom...

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anything been done to the truck recently ?is the lower hose atleast warm ? is the truck acting like it is overheating even though guage reads only 160 or whatever ?

6. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Get a temp gun. Use it, gauges are notoriously inaccurate.... mine is off bya pprox. 50 deg F. I thought my rad was makin the cut until I found this out( the gauge read around 110C(190-200F) infact this was around 250F which is a little too warm.

Your heater core or hoses could be blocked.

In these temps~0 deg.F, my truck is 197f(195 thermostat) in and around 140-150 out.

7. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

I had stuck in a 180° thermostat for the summer. She ran cool and happy out on the beach with it and the 4-row radiator, even when it was 100° out there. Now that it doesn't usually get any warmer than 40° the guage had been reading 155° and I shot the hose with a Raytek gun, guage was right on. I put in a new 195° thermo tonight and she runs a little warmer now. I actually have to turn the heat down now!

8. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

The hose isn't actually a good place to check the temps. Check the intake manifold right by the thermostat housing and then on either side of the rad (on the tanks)I'm sure you'll now get around 195 on the manifold, probably 185-190 at the top of the rad tank.....less the more you go down. and if your rad is running good, probably around 150 on the passenger side of the rad. those readings were with a brand new(not a recore) heavy duty 3 core rad from NAPA. My tranny temps were 150 in and 145 out in case you wanted to know.

THe problem is that the hose insulates and you don't get a true reading. My reading at the hose was about the same as yours.